Wapak #9 with Erie Ghost

D_Madden

kind of hard to make out, especially with the pitting on the bottom... I wonder if there was a ghost pattern number under there. Also, it may be because of the pitting, but that is the crudest incised name/logo I think I've ever seen.

https://imgur.com/a/3YlfkVx

I might be wrong, but I think thats the earliest log they had. By the looks of things, its probably one of the first, a "prototype......anyways, I love ALL Wapaks, this will be a good user skillet.

I might be wrong, but I think thats the earliest log they had. By the looks of things, its probably one of the first, a "prototype......anyways, I love ALL Wapaks, this will be a good user skillet.

this one is kind of strange... it has remnants of an early erie... with the reinforced lip and triangle attachment pad... but they aren't as clearly defined as you would find on a 'real' erie... obviously because of the process of copying/recasting... but the underside of the handle is odd... kind of scooped, but no rib at all... but again, not exactly like an erie... almost like they altered the handle from the original erie that they copied.

I don't exactly collect wapaks... I just found this one while out looking for iron and it was crud covered and cheap... I could see the pitting on the bottom and could make out the wapak logo... and I felt sorry for it.

I have a thread on here about the kinds of Wapak handles, I think I counted 5 diffent ones on my collection.....its interesting, huh?

I have a thread on here about the kinds of Wapak handles, I think I counted 5 diffent ones on my collection.....its interesting, huh?

almost every wapak I've even run across seems to have some sort of erie or wagner ghost marks... did wapak actually make any patterns of their own? (well obviously the indian heads are pretty unique).. but for their regular skillets it just seems everything they made was a copy.

Its my knowledge that they always used molds from other places. The Indian Head they made Im assuming, and the dutch ovens with full writing on the underside. They might be a recast too, with the letters added?i have no clue really.....

Back