Weekend Finds

Well would like to say thanks to all for giving me a few search ideas as it paid off. I'm new to collecting CI so its easy to get excited over probably not anything special lol. Well I forgot to take before pics of this $2 find that had 3/16" crud covering the whole bottom. I cleaned it up and here's a few pics.

It's amazing how something looked to bad can turn out so nice. The only problem with it. Is it has a very slight wobble or warp ;)

I also have a #4 large logo Smooth Bottom & #5 small logo Smooth Bottom Griswolds & 1 Wagner & 1 Lodge, I have 2 more Wagners after those are done soaking :) Plus cleaned up 2 smaller lodges and 2 small BSR's. Plus a Lodge 6 that I cooked lunch in today :)

31wjoGN.jpg

mu4Pob3.jpg

Mike

Already with a #4. Great start in collecting.

Always use a straight edge like a credit card to check for warped pans inside the skillet.

Mike everyone has a bit of preference on what they like. I’m not much of a collector, and just like old things that work as good or better maybe than new:)

Enjoy your new hobby and the search it’s as much fun as cooking a wonderful meal with something of time long past.

I have a few favorites of makers and a bit OCD of keeping it the same :chuckle:
Great pickups, I’ve got a bit of a soft spot for early BSR and Griswold.

I’m not much of a collector, and just like old things that work as good or better maybe than new:)

Agreed, That's what started the whole CI thing a year ago back! I got tired of buying expensive pan to only throw them out a year or so later 2 if I was lucky. It got me to thinking that my grandmother cooked on hers forever and I now have them! And they work just as good for me as they did for her. My son has taken an interest in CI as well. So I hope to be able to pass on all of my grandmothers collection and my future collection lol....

Mike,
As we all get a small bit older and by the way I’m with Jack Benny on I’m still 39.. from a joke I remember very young from my mom as boy. One thing I can say I’ve sparked some interest with a few people of cooking with CI.

If old school and still works I don’t see any reason to fix it or redesign the mouse trap.

A little bit more of preference I lean to, slant Erie. Just keep that to yourself :chuckle: in all seriousness there is a lot of good makers, company’s from the past yet to be found looking for new home and enjoy doing what they were made to do.

Your #8 Wagner looks great! Hunting for the rare, crusty-rusty and bringing something back to its useful state is so fun. It gives you a sense of joy when you have completed a pan. I get charged up that I am also holding a piece of history in my hands when you find the 100 + year old skillet. Just thinking of what is has survivied and what it might have cooked through the years is mind boggling. Happy hunting :)

Back