WHY ??????

Tom W.

Why do you collect cast iron? Why is it interesting? General questions with no easy answer!
At one time the best was assumed to be American made. A little later MADE IN U.S.A. still signified pride in a quality product. Now you see U.S.A. on products of mediocre quality, compromised to the point of " Nothing Special " & " also ran " ! We yearn for a day when American stood for quality, innovation, & pride! That's my answer, whats yours?

I primarily "collect" to use vs display, but have a couple items I reserve for decor vs. use. Having churned through so many cookware sets over the years, in my opinion it's just a most dependable, consistent cooking tool. The nostalgic aspect is also a bonus for me. I love knowing that I am keeping someone else's memories, experiences, and (hopefully) love of cooking alive every time I use one of my pieces. There is a huge piece of me that longs to have been born into my grandparents era, or even before. Since I can travel back in time, preparing a delicious meal for my family using antique CI is the next best thing for me.

I will also admit to a serious bias against non-US made pieces (e.g., made in China). Knowing how shady their regulations are on the production of export items, I just cannot bring myself to risk my family's health by taking the chance that something was produced in an inferior or "cheap" way. That's why - whenever possible - I buy Made in the USA only, and preferably at least 50 years ago when there was pride in quality. I'm content with my modern Lodge items, but somehow, it's just not the same as the old stuff. :icon_thumbsup:

Quality of product.... Find a smoother surface with CIs' cooking qualities
Love of my country..... Made in America BABY!!!!! With pride!!!!!
Investments if times get hard...... I am buying some of these pieces at a fraction of value and know I could sell to supplement income.
Respect for past and present.... I respect that some of my pieces are 150 years old and still kicking. Espescially as I grow up in a product of a throw away age and society. I want the next generation to have these to cook with like I do.

Back