Why Are Large Logo Griswolds So in Demand?

I picked up my third #8 recently, a large slant EPU. It was unrestored and covered in crud, but cleaned up nicely. Fully intact, she sits flat, and has only a small area of pitting on the cooking surface. She's a beauty.

I'm a bit perplexed though. When compared to my other two #8s, an SBL late handle and an SBL grooved, I have trouble seeing what the hullabaloo is all about. The slant EPU is heavier than newer pans, with a handle that isn't as comfortable. The casting seems less refined with more voids present as well as a pebbled area on the exterior that reminds me of modern Lodges.

In terms of appearance though, the large slant logo wins easily. The bold markings, combined with the heat ring make for a really good looking piece. Is that the explanation I'm looking for?

Basically. Elaborateness of markings has always factored into collectible desirability.

Basically. Elaborateness of markings has always factored into collectible desirability.

kind of the way the older griswold-made Victors (just marked Victor) aren't as desirable as the 'newer' fully-marked victors... Usually older means 'less available' and 'harder to find', like the ERIE pans... but for some reason the 'newer' Victors are the ones that bring the bigger prices on Ebay and at auctions.

Back