Beet Greens

It's beautiful, Donna. How'd it come out?

I am actually trying to grow beets right now. Though I hate beets, I never tried the greens alone.

Golly, I've never even heard of "beet greens", and I love greens of all kinds - turnip greens, kale, collard greens, spinach, etc., etc., but I've never heard of using the leafy greens from a beet plant, if that is what this is.....?

Got a recipe / instructions ? That really looks good :icon_thumbsup:

LOL, Rob...why are you growing beets then? :chuckle:

Yes, these are the leafy part of a beet plant-- usually cut off and discarded in the store. They're really tasty if you like greens, and they cook up much more quickly than, say, kale. I cut off the long stems, cut them up, and save them for soup later.

Nick, I just sauteed the onion, garlic, and mushrooms in olive oil...then added the beet leaves. It's done when the ribs in the leaves are tender. Not very specific, I know....

I love them when they are cooked up with a little crumbled crisp bacon pieces, and with a little bacon fat on them. Delicious.

Hi There!
From my experience the best beet greens are from very young beets, the beet about the size of a pea; at that stage the stem is also very tender. You do not want to overcook the beet greens at this stage or they will turn to mush; just cook them like you would young spinach. I just add a little salt and pepper and butter.

When the beets are about the size of a golf ball the stems are starting to get chewy, string and tough so I cut them off, but the greens are still wonderful. To my taste when the beet is full grown the greens are now bitter and I throw them out or use the in a soup, but I don't eat them.

If you want to experience heavenly beet greens then please eat them where they are young, not old and tough!!

LOL, Rob...why are you growing beets then? :chuckle:

Yes, these are the leafy part of a beet plant-- usually cut off and discarded in the store. They're really tasty if you like greens, and they cook up much more quickly than, say, kale. I cut off the long stems, cut them up, and save them for soup later.

Nick, I just sauteed the onion, garlic, and mushrooms in olive oil...then added the beet leaves. It's done when the ribs in the leaves are tender. Not very specific, I know....

Because I'm a masochist. Not really. I mean I really am a masochist, but I am TRYING (and failing) to grow beets because my wife likes them.

Back