Help In Cleaning A Cast Iron Waffle Maker

Dan B

Hi All,

I'm hoping for any tips/tricks people may have for cleaning the inside of a CI waffle maker? I'm using Easy-Off HD Oven Cleaner which is working well for the outsides... but, how best to scrape amongst the MANY nooks and crannies on the inside surfaces?

Thanks!

A lye tank or a few days in the the easy off bag should have it rinsing away without much scrubbing needed. I've had a few pieces that were extra stubborn but for the most part 3-4 days in the lye tank has always done the trick.

Yep, I think I would try a few days in the electrolysis tank, if all that didn't do it. I just got an old (?) Griswold (American #8) waffle iron (no base). It is not messy, not gunked up, but just a bit of corrosion, I suppose. None-the-less, I'm not even planning to mess with it. Just to many corners & crevices for me....plus I would never use it..

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips... indeed, extra time in the 'bath' and a wire brush are doing the job nicely.

NLevine - A question for you. You mention the crud "rinsing" off after a few days. Do you actually rinse it? If so, how - in a pail/tub of water, under a running tap, a hose? If in a pail/tub do you add anything to the water?

Sorry if this may seem like a silly question, but when cleaning pans I remove the crud with paper towel and only do a final cleaning rinse with water and vinegar.

Thanks again.

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips... indeed, extra time in the 'bath' and a wire brush are doing the job nicely.

NLevine - A question for you. You mention the crud "rinsing" off after a few days. Do you actually rinse it? If so, how - in a pail/tub of water, under a running tap, a hose? If in a pail/tub do you add anything to the water?

Sorry if this may seem like a silly question, but when cleaning pans I remove the crud with paper towel and only do a final cleaning rinse with water and vinegar.

Thanks again.

Not a silly question at all! This forum is about learning! After a few days in the lye tank, i'll put gloves on or fish it out with a bent wire clothes hanger then it goes straight to the hose. I use the "Jet" setting of my hose nozzle and the crud literally washes away before your eyes. Then i hit it with some coarse steel wool to remove the stubborn pieces of crud, which also come off with ease after a few days soaking in the etank or lye tank.

Having cleaned many waffle irons which can be an absolute nightmare I agree with all the contributors here.

I have an addition suggestion. I use Mothers Carpet & Upholstery Brush which has tough bristles and does an amazing job getting down to bare iron in those nooks and crannies. Try it out you will not be disappointed and it is very cheap.

Hi All, me again with a quick update on the subject.

With more time spent in the lye bath, wire and an upholstery brush (Mothers not available in Canada, but found a close alternative) and rinsing with a hose the job of cleaning my waffle iron has been made WAY easier. I still would have been at it and totally frustrated without the benefit of your tips.

Again, thanks... now off to start the seasoning process.

Cheers,

Back