Wagner Griddle

Casey H.

Picked this 17" griddle up the other day. I have never seen this style of Wagner logo without the "Sidney" Is this a real piece or a recast/knockoff? Quality does not seem poor like some recasts but that logo....

rT7cqscl.jpg

RLaWfvgl.jpg

I have the same piece. I believe that these were produced after Wagner was bought out.

I had the same thought, but if it was that late, shouldn't there be text that says "Made in the USA" - similar to unmarked Wagner skillet stuff?

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

I just dropped this in the e-tank - I will report back if there are any more markings, but I don't expect much as it seemed clean enough to see everything before it went in the tank.

Last edited:
There was a period in the late 50s - early 60s that Randall or Textron owned Wagner and Made in USA was not yet inscribed into the patterns. This griddle was also sold unmarked as a Griswold #138, made by "Griswold Mfg. Co. Sidney, Ohio" (no Made In USA, either). In all likelihood, your griddle production was done in Cincinnati, thus the no "Sidney -O-".

Always bear in mind that counterfeiters were largely opportunistic, reproducing small, high value items. And recasts are typically just someone trying to make a usable piece, not a perfect replica.

Great information. This one is slated for a gift and I think the receiver would appreciate knowing some of the history.

Back