Sold Prices from the 2/23 Dinky's Iron Auction

D_Madden

I don't know if anyone was there in person or followed along online... but if this auction is evidence of anything there is still a pretty strong market out there for vintage cast iron.
Since they allowed online bidding, even though the auction is over you can still access the auction site on auctionzip and scroll through and review the selling prices.
https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-catalog/catalog_XEWNT0P43G

some highlights, a #13 griswold dutch oven in amazing condition sold for $2,700
a large block epu with heat ring #2 sold for $2,000
a number #12 griswold dutch oven sold for $2,400 and the #12 trivet sold for $900
a #5 oval roaster trivet sold for $450
a slant erie #2 sold for $650
fully marked raised letter #3 skillet lid sold for $1,000
all in one dinner skillet (the #8 with 3 divided compartments) sold for $800
there were two of the iron 'hot service plates' one 7 1/2 inch the other 9 inch and the sold for $275 each.

quite a few fairly rare pieces... and everything sold for pretty high prices.

I went through the listing Saturday evening and I noticed a couple items that people definitely got in a bidding war over. One in particular that caught my eye was the #9 fully marked low dome skillet lid that sold for $300 and then it was followed by a #10 that only brought $200.:icon_scratchchin:

I went through the listing Saturday evening and I noticed a couple items that people definitely got in a bidding war over. One in particular that caught my eye was the #9 fully marked low dome skillet lid that sold for $300 and then it was followed by a #10 that only brought $200.:icon_scratchchin:

yeah... like the trivet for the #5 oval roaster... it sold for more than the #5 roaster. seemed to be the same issue with size 11's on some skillet logos... any time you have two people who really want something and they have the money to spend... an auction format can get interesting. And for whatever reason the dinky's auction seems to be able to draw in the 'big fish' collectors

I've heard that there's a lot of shill bidding that goes on at Dinky's.

I've been to 5 or 6 auctions there and I haven't seen anything obvious. I have seen the guys who work the auction (moving tables and holding up items) buy a piece (usually if something is going really cheap)... but they bid on it just like everyone else... and I know a couple of those guys buy/sell other places and collect for themselves because I've been at other auctions run by other people in the area where they are buying stuff.

Back