Unmarked No 10 948 Popover Pan

Anthony Diaz

Hello Everybody,

I found a No 10 948 popover pan. It is in a 4-3-4 configuration with tapered sides and a flat bottom. There is no makers mark. The "NO 10" is raised on the handle. There is a stamped "948" where the "9" is slightly away from the 48. Can anyone tell me about this popover pan?

Anthony

That would be consistent with a Griswold #10 muffin pan. 948 is the pattern number. Early versions had minimal markings. If there are no bottom gate marks, it could be genuine.

Like this one? #10 948 pan

I would have to look in the Haussler book for an exact match on the markings.

Wow Doug, you are good to catch that one and recognize the pan Anthony was describing. Those early ERIE era popovers are not too often seen.

Anthony,
The markings are CAST into the pan, not stamped as cast iron does not stamp too well. The original markings were probably engraved by hand into the pattern.

I'm looking at the close-ups of the one in the auction and have made a couple of observations. One is that there appears to be what might be curved gatemarks at the perimeters of the bottoms of some of the cups.

Two is that the 948 mark doesn't really say "Erie" or "Griswold" to me. I wouldn't expect an Erie pan of that era to have such bold numbers. Either that or I haven't seen enough examples of this particular piece to say for sure.

Dating earlier Griswold gem pans I don't think is an exact process. The 948 to me says "Griswold" as that was the pattern number used for many years on most of their popover pans (and the large lamb also for some reason). Many ERIE pieces have bold markings on them from what I recall.

Jon's Griswold muffin pans book has the variations of the popover pans listed but the order he gives don't make sense to me. To change from a pattern without the perimeter reinforcing bars to one that has the bars then back to pans without is not entirely logical but who says that Griswold made everything in a logical way? I'm not sure that I would place the sequence of popover pans in the same way that Jon's book does. I used to have a huge stack of many or most of the popover pan variations and can say that there are a lot of them and that the stack was a treat to pick up (I knew I was strong).

There is no doubt in my mind that Anthony's pan is a Griswold. With the pattern number it would likely date to c.1891 or later. Since the "ERIE" era extended from the early 1880s until c.1907 or so I think his pan would be considered to be an ERIE piece. I would love to have my collection from the years intact to compare for more information but most has been scattered all over the country to other collectors over the years.

Here are pics of the actual pan. My concern is the "Holes" between the cups looks sloppy. However, some of the over casting is actually old seasoning.

Anthony

Attachments

• Popover-01.jpg
    Popover-01.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Popover-02.jpg
    Popover-02.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 46
  • Popover-03.jpg
    Popover-03.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 42
Here are some more pics.