unique cast iron piece

BLPerkins

What is it and where did it come from. I purchased it at a yard sale, no one -knows what it is, I have not been able to find anything online about it. Please help me. If you know you may call me at 859-270-9498

Attachments

• SANY1359.jpg
    SANY1359.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 106
  • SANY1328.jpg
    SANY1328.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 54
  • SANY1326.jpg
    SANY1326.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 58
It looks like it might be a mortar and pestle. The pestle is definitely an odd shape. Or is the mortar. I am not sure which is which?

What is it and where did it come from. I purchased it at a yard sale, no one -knows what it is, I have not been able to find anything online about it. Please help me. If you know you may call me at 859-270-9498

Can you take in side pic,is it flat?or has ribs inside.

It has ribbed sides and I am not sure they go together, but they were together when I bought it.

Attachments

• SANY1436.jpg
    SANY1436.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 42
  • SANY1437.jpg
    SANY1437.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 35
  • SANY1438.jpg
    SANY1438.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 34
I agree that it looks like a mortar and pestle, but an interior that isn't smooth would be an awful design and defeat the purpose...so I don't have any better ideas, but I doubt it could be a mortar and pestle.

Doubt they go together, but what do I know... 12" you say? Could be a holder of sorts, maybe to sit beside a sink or a bathtub?

I agree that it looks like a mortar and pestle, but an interior that isn't smooth would be an awful design and defeat the purpose...so I don't have any better ideas, but I doubt it could be a mortar and pestle.

The inside of a mortar should be rough to aid in the grinding action. Whether this piece is a m&p, not sure. But it would probably work as one.

Some mortar/pestles are rough (the Mexican molcajete is extremely rough lava stone) and some are very smooth... I've seen polished stone ones, brass, etc. I guess it depends on whether the main intent is to grind or to pulverize.

This one looks like an oyster shell a bit, doesn't it?

The inside of a mortar should be rough to aid in the grinding action. Whether this piece is a m&p, not sure. But it would probably work as one.

Rough I would agree with, but I think the deep scallops on this piece are different. This looks to me like it's bordering on the shape of a bundt pan.

In Chinese medicine there is a herbal remedy made from crushed oyster shells called mu li. It is used to provide calcium and vitamin D to the patient. Other sea shells may also be used.

Some renditions of a dragon have a pug nose like the legs of this piece. Mortar and pestle seem to fit.

i'm not saying this it what it is, but it could be a good road to follow. That is your call.

Hilditch

In Chinese medicine there is a herbal remedy made from crushed oyster shells called mu li. It is used to provide calcium and vitamin D to the patient. Other sea shells may also be used.

Some renditions of a dragon have a pug nose like the legs of this piece. Mortar and pestle seem to fit.

i'm not saying this it what it is, but it could be a good road to follow. That is your call.

Hilditch

Yes, the pug-nosed dragons are exactly what I was thinking of.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

Am I the only one that sees something like a gargoyle or sea serpent in this picture?

https://img1.etsystatic.com/045/0/5022161/il_fullxfull.694662433_mutd.jpg

Hard to say what it's worth if no one can even tell for certain what it is. It may not even be cookware, as in pots and pans, which is what this site and forum focus on. Maybe an antique appraisal service could give you an idea.

thank you, I live in ky and have no idea where there would be an antique appraiser. I am sorry I didn't know it was just for cookware. I thought it was for any form of cast iron. I do appreciate everyone's opinions and I appreciate the time you have taken to help me thanks again.

Back