A skillet cover with a low profile

NLevine

Scored today! I won a Griswold #9 skillet lid on the interwebs and today I picked it up. To my pleasant surprise it's a "Low Dome, Raised Letters" cover according to the BB. The BB states that it was manufactured from 1915-1935 and was the first series of covers that Griswold ever made. Can't wait to get it cleaned up. I plan to pair it with my #9 Griswold Slant EPU.

I attached a few photo's comparing this "low dome" cover to a "high dome" cover so you guys could see the difference.

I'll post more photo's when it's cleaned up!

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 2 tops.jpg
    2 tops.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 62
  • topview.jpg
    topview.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 62
I just got a #6 skillet cover today (with all the markings, similar to yours)... unfortunately I don't actually have a #6 skillet to put it on... yet.

That thing is perfect! I'd love to add one to my collection some day. Congrats, i'm sure you'll find a #6 very soon to go with it.

Would you like to hear the 'auction story' that goes with this one?

The auction was today... 9am... who expects much from a thursday morning auction? Anyway, they didn't really mention that there was any cast iron I just happened to browse their listing and saw the pic. The picture showed the lid, clearly a griswold, but I couldn't make out the size, 3 skillets and a dutch oven and a gem pan... so I decided to go this morning and check them out. The lid was obviously something I was interested in, one pan was unmarked and not flat, one pan was an old gate marked pan with the unusual handle, I thought the gem pan might be the griswold #6 gem... but after seeing in up close I changed my mind... the other skillet was a #8 slant erie in really nice condition... very flat, no pitting. The dutch oven turned out to be the 1295 no bail griswold tite top (I posted pics in a new thread a few minutes ago)... but it had a lodge 10 inch lid on it. these were on row 3 of 4 tables... I hung around for about 30 minutes when they were on row 1... and realized this was going to take forever... I left and went back to my office (10 minutes away) and did a little work.. then went back to the auction about 11am... they were still on row 2, so I waited... finally they got to the cast iron.. they did the gem pan with an aluminum corn stick pan (unmarked) and I let it go... dutch oven next, which they called a bean pot, only one other bidder... I got it for $20. skillet lid next, again only one other bidder and he stopped at $20, I got it for $25. Then they bundled the three skillets together... and this guy that I've seen buy cast iron at other auctions jumps in and bids it up to $95 and I backed out... I could see paying $60 or so for the slant logo 8, and 30 or so for the gate marked skillet... but the third pan was a throw away.. and I couldn't justify going any higher. I thought it was really strange that the guy who really wanted the skillets didn't bid at all on the skillet cover.

just a follow up... pics of the #6 after cleaning and seasoning (it wasn't too bad to start with... just used easy off, no electrolysis... cleaning out the letters on the top was the 'hard' part... there was a lot more gunk in there than it originally looked like.)

https://imgur.com/a/yMJFB

D_Madden thanks for the reminder. Here's my finished result. Pretty excited about it!

Attachments

• 9.2.jpg
    9.2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 14
Back