Senior Day Smile....

CDLaine

You may be surprised with the performance of the Lodge seasoned steel pan. I don't have one by Lodge but I have a huge Antique one that I use to sear steaks and chops that works great! Mine is large enough that I also use it instead of my Woks for stir fry! That's a #7 Griswold for size comparison. https://i.imgur.com/3ZjCt8X.jpg

Very nice Russell...I'll get it stripped and then start re-season... I have no
experience with carbon steel skillets so looking forward to using it ! I'll do a
little research and see if there are any nuisances to seasoning techniques.
Good idea on the stir fry... my wok is a bit bulky so will give it a try.

Charles

Last edited:
My wok is carbon steel - it's the traditional wok material and really, proper wok cooking requires higher heat than non-stick ano aluminum can safely handle. If you google carbon steel wok seasoning techniques you'll find content for a stovetop method but really the oven method works better, you just have to remove any parts that aren't oven friendly, which your piece doesn't have to deal with.

So, if I were you, I'd clean and reseason it same as cast iron then enjoy the cooking. Nice piece.

Eric,

Good advice... I checked my wok ...also carbon steel , I recall seasoning it on the grill, then with mixed Asian style veggies on the cook top .

So, cleaned, one pass on the outdoor grill with Crisco, then the test... skillet eggs over easy. Med. temp., pat of butter , attempt flip (as you can see, I need more practice.:oops:)Evaluation... one tiny area of "stick" about the size of a penny , freed easily with silicone spatula. Funny thing is... did not happen on the first egg...only the second/third pass.

A reminder from my bride.... I put the cracked eggs in a ramekin and then in the skillet. Noticed a piece of egg shell in the egg white... to retrieve just use the cracked egg shell. Comes right out without digging....but you already knew that. :mrgreen:... a cool intervention without drama or speaking in tongues. One other point.... the long handle does not spare the user from heat... don't grab it ungloved. :oops:....don't ask.

now I'll season thru use. Bride wants to keep it at home... not the RV. Must say, I agree. Good Lodge quality...I wish it was rivet free...(more to clean around).

Charles
https://imgur.com/a/goB3N

Regarding the egg shell piece, I don't know what your cracking technique is but here's a trick I've learned...

Instead of cracking the egg on the edge of a bowl or skillet, crack it against a flat surface like your countertop. Not a light tap but a decent wack, it works pretty well.

The problem with cracking on an edge is it can drive shell fragments into the egg that you have to dig out later; the countertop method is much less likely to cause that.

Thanks Eric...I'll give it a try....I have been using the side of the ramekin. Using the egg shell to retrieve prevents having to dig out the wayward shell. I want to get better at flipping so practice, practice, practice ! :D

Charles

Thanks Sean.... I have had a good run at the Thrifts and GW .

This unmarked No. 8 was my first attempt at seasoning with Grapeseed oil...
the jury is still out. I thought it was an unmarked Lodge... but now not so
sure. Seems whatever shift was responsible for QC did not pay attention to
detail... uneven grind marks, bail handles uneven lips. Not my experience
with Lodge quality, more like off-shore quality.. Also, some prior owner was
fond of something that left scratch tracks on the cooking surface.... not
revealed until stripped. The hunt goes on...:icon_thumbsup:

Charles
https://imgur.com/a/Fzwgp

It's Lodge. I have 2 of them with lids. One of mine has the P under the assist tab like yours with nothing on the bottom but the 8. The other one has the 8 with DO just below it and a D at six o'clock. Is yours polished/milled smooth on the inside? Mine like yours is.

Yes Russell ...is polished/milled smooth internally. I was pretty sure it
was Lodge it's just the aforementioned visual flaws that seemed
in congruent with (my experience) Lodge quality. I have already moved
it to the RV and looking forward to seasoning this camp season. Thanks
for the info.

Charles

The good thing with the carbon steel pans is that if it gets warped you can heat it up to seasoning temp the put a piece of 2x4 on the bottom and whack it with a hammer to straighten it. I absolutely love mine.

Thanks for the knowledge Robert.... I must admit to being a bit surprised. This skillet has quickly earned a "frequent user" status in the rotation. Carbon steel is very user friendly.

Charles

Back