Cleaning with Hot Water on Hot Skillet

Larry B

This question is about cleaning a pan after cooking in it.

I saw a video (can't remember who or where) where he showed running the hot water from your faucet until it is very hot, then put the hot pan under the water and clean with the hot steam that is created.

He said if the water is very hot there is no danger of cracking.

I have been using this method and it works really well.

Is he right about the hot water not causing pan to crack. I haven't had a problem but I'm using a new Lodge. Not sure I would want to do this with an old piece.

In theory, hot water/hot pan should at least be less dangerous than cold water/hot pan. On the other hand, letting the pan cool to at least warm, adding a half inch of water, and bringing it to a simmer to loosen anything stuck on seems far safer and of course doesn't waste the water waiting for the tap to run hot. Juggling a hot pan in the sink while trying to avoid steam burns also doesn't sound like best practices. Also remember most of those video makers are making money off publishing them, so titles like "Absolutely the best way to..." are more just to get you to watch, not necessarily good advice.

The secret is to not have the skillet too hot. It should simply be as hot as if you were cooking something that you would normally de-glaze. If you can pour room temp wine into a skillet to deglaze the fond to make a sauce, then cleaning with hot water should pose no more danger than that.

If the water is going to dance around on the super hot cast iron, then no, it is definitely too hot, and you risk cracking or warping.

The average item I cook is between 350 and 400 degrees. My faucet water is 170 on a good day so I'm not sure going from that temp to 170 is something I'll be doing anyway.

170?

At that temp just sticking a finger in the water for an instant would result in blisters.

According to the American Burn Association, water at 155 degrees will inflict a 3rd degree burn (full thickness of the skin) in 1 second.

Either you have a faulty thermometer, or you never use hot water only.

There are five of us on a 40 gallon water heater. At 170 we can all take a shower with hot water due to the amount of cold water you have to add. When I lower it, someone gets a cold shower LOL! Both my water heater and thermometer are digital and show the same temp. Having a home where everything is industrial has it's advantages.

Back