Why I Love Wapaks....

SeanD

#14.jpg Oddities.jpg

I was just wondering......why do you collect the brands you do? I mean, like Griswold, ect.....what about them do you LOVE? I love Wapaks due to every one being unique, with sand shifts, foreign material in the casting, ect. I have a #14 Wapak that has what looks like a staple inbedded in the sidewall, just by the handle. And it has casting flaws on the outside.....but inside....GLASS! I love this pan, and I love all of my CI.....but to get back to my question....what do you love about a certain brand?

Here is what I do with mine.

Lodge - My users while camping
Griswold - My users at home(No. 3 through No. 9), and misc baking
Wagner - Building collections to give to my kids when older, and a couple of 10s as users(for pizza mainly).
BSR/ASW - I use(camping) 2 sportsman grills and related items, also building a set of skillets for display.
Misc/duplicates - I need to start selling and/or trade off to complement my other sets with some needed items.

I have lodge because I am a user more than a collector, and lodge is readily available in my area. With that said I do like my Griswold DO because it lightweight, and it didn't cost me anything because I saved it from going into a dumpster.

I like my single notch Lodge skillets because, like many, it was the first thing I acquired. Then while researching what I had, people seemed to give them no respect.
It didn't take long to realize that they cooked as well as, or better than some of the big name skillets that came later to my collection.

I know what you mean about being overlooked by most people. I think that just makes them that much better.

Hate to say this but the Taiwan cast iron is light and cooks good. I just did a 4.5 quart dutch oven for one of my vendors. I did not want it and he could use it as a "bean" pot. It cleaned well. The inside was smooth machined. A $1 flee market glass lid and he was ready to cook. The only problem is, he now knows the cruddy ones can be made new again.

I don't have a Wapak skillet yet unfortunately.

I also really like the single notch lodge. I have a #6, #8, and a hammered Dutch oven that I love, they cook really well and are nice and light.

My favorite skillet is actually a Vollrath #8.

I'm not as impressed with Wagner, though it's a smooth bottom. I do have a National #9 that is really nice.

Thanks for all the replies.....I know we all use/keep our CI differently, so I was curious.....Wapak is what it is for me.

Back