BSR #8 Chicken Fryer (I think)

Nick_N

Okay, I got a BSR chicken fryer, I think. Based on my BSR #8 skillet (the handle is the same), I believe it to be a BSR chicken fryer. On the bottom it says"8 G 2". It does NOT say, MADE IN USA. Any ideas on what it is, if I'm wrong, and how old. It also has a lid...:confused:

Smooth bottom, no heat ring? Sounds like it might be a BSR chicken fryer, but HD is correct, need a pic.

I have the same one with the dimensional markings and it does not say MADE IN USA. No BSR should have the RM style size/pattern letter markings and MADE IN USA (although I am sure someone is scouring the web right now to try to contradict that).

It was most likely sold as a BSR Century in the late mid-late 1950s - early 1960s. The bottom of the lid will tell more about whether or not it probably was sold new around the same time as the pan or not. Probably was.

I think it's a BSR...
but again, I'm new at this ID stuff !

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

It was most likely sold as a BSR Century in the mid-late 1950s - early 1960s. The bottom of the lid will tell more about whether or not it probably was sold new around the same time as the pan or not. Probably was.

The lady that owned it (wife's great grandmother), was married in 1910, and died in 1960, if that helps....and she was 65 when she passed....the fryer was old then ?

Doug, it it a hallmark of BSR lids that they are thicker around on one end than the other? And are any other brands like that? Thanks.

Well, the inside of the fryer is in good to decent shape, but the outside is really gunked up, with a lot of thick cooked on grease/oil. It is very rough on the outside, so not real sure how to go about cleaning that up. Again, the inside is in real decent shape. Should this be one for a fire ?

Nick,
CIC has a good section on BSR: http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php

Another good BSR site is: http://www.modemac.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Birmingham_Stove_and_Range

The dripper pattern, inside the lid, will tell you if the lid is Red Mountain or Century series. I'm pretty sure it is RM.

When seeking identification it always helps to post pictures of the top and bottom of the pans AND lids.

Happy hunting.

Jack

Thanks Jack, I'm learning. Doug tried to point me to the other side of the lid, yesterday, but I didn't understand. I'm beginning to realize now, that all sides are important, when trying to ID, or when seeking help to ID.

Based on what we just read (CIC), it appears that it may be a Red Mountain. This makes more sense, because as I mentioned, the lady that owned it (wife's great grandmother), was married in 1910, and died in 1960, if that helps....and she was 65 when she passed....the fryer was old then ?

What do you think ?

Got some paper towel stuck on it
IMG_0563.jpg IMG_0564.jpg

Thanks Jack, I'm learning. Doug tried to point me to the other side of the lid, yesterday, but I didn't understand. I'm beginning to realize now, that all sides are important, when trying to ID, or when seeking help to ID.

Based on what we just read (CIC), it appears that it may be a Red Mountain. This makes more sense, because as I mentioned, the lady that owned it (wife's great grandmother), was married in 1910, and died in 1960, if that helps....and she was 65 when she passed....the fryer was old then ?

What do you think ?

Got some paper towel stuck on it
View attachment 4296 View attachment 4297

I think both are Red Mountain.

The spouts look small, and make me think this is a post-automation piece. The RM "style" markings were apparently used on pieces sold as Century. We know the crudely incised , "handwritten" markings to be older and definitely RM. But the later higher quality lettering could be either. Compared to what's on my RM lid the lettering on this one doesn't seem the typical crude. Looking at the basters too long and I can't decide if I find them more random or regular in placement. But they're not as random as my lid.

Back