Quality Hierarchy by Brand

ZBaker

I know Griswold is generally considered to be top dog and Wagner usually second, but as far as general quality goes, what order would you place other popular brands after those?

Quality and collectability (or those most desired by collectors) are two different things. Some might argue that the quality of BSR, older Lodge, and others is equal to or even better than Griswold or Wagner.

and then you also need to take into account the 'era' the the iron was made.

small logo griswolds are no better (or worse) than smooth bottom wagners of the same era. But you would probably get serious arguments about which logo/era of griswold was their best.

Probably lodge is better quality than any other brand;got to be a reason why is the only manufacturer still on business,I have one of each brand and I don't see any difference on performing,some people are willing to pay a lot of money just for a logo,

Probably lodge is better quality than any other brand;got to be a reason why is the only manufacturer still on business,I have one of each brand and I don't see any difference on performing,some people are willing to pay a lot of money just for a logo,

Lodge and BS&R bought into automation, that is why they were still around longer than the other two.

It was basically a four horse race near the end, Griswold, Wagner, BS&R and Lodge. The ones that went automation survived, at least for awhile.

Lodge and BS&R bought into automation, that is why they were still around longer than the other two.

It was basically a four horse race near the end, Griswold, Wagner, BS&R and Lodge. The ones that went automation survived, at least for awhile.

In my opinion, Martin aka. King Stove and Range, should rank. I may have a regional bias. One of the my go to skillets is a southern mystery skillet gate marked maker ????. Soon to be labeled Blacklock by popular opinion.

I would add Favorite to the list as well. I've never seen a poor quality casting with the Favorite logo on it...

Some people collect Wapak... but I don't think I've ever seen a single wapak item that didn't have casting flaws and defects.

I would add Favorite to the list as well. I've never seen a poor quality casting with the Favorite logo on it...

Some people collect Wapak... but I don't think I've ever seen a single wapak item that didn't have casting flaws and defects.

Favorite is fantastic but they're so doggoned light it's hard (at least for me) to find one that doesn't have a moderate to severe wobble.

Back