Help Dating Hearth / Spider Skillet

Scott.L

Having trouble getting a general time frame for this spider skillet, the construction seems a bit different then most of the ones I have seen. First off there are small round tabs on the top, bottom, sides, and handle of the lid. Also next to the gate mark on the bottom of the lid is what almost looks like a buttered (covered) mold mark or gate mark. The handle to the skillet is actually kind of twisted down on one side. I know most pieces with this style gate mark are loosely dated 1875 - 1900 but this one just seems different to me, thoughts ???

Attachments

• spiderlidtop1.jpg
    spiderlidtop1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 38
  • spiderlidbottom1.jpg
    spiderlidbottom1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 41
  • spiderbottom1.jpg
    spiderbottom1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 34
there is a book... the 'gray' book... covers early american cookware from 1640-1900.
the book gives some characteristics that changed over time giving some idea of time frames for different changes... for example the handle shape and attachment... a general rule, the more plain and simple the earlier... also, the longer handle indicates use in a hearth rather than a stove... which also gives some idea of time frame. not sure about the bumps, molder's marks?

D_Madden
Thank you for the reply it has been a long while since I was able to look at a grey book, I need to buy one lol, the skillet seems to pull elements out of different time frames in that range. The metal tabs appear in several random areas on the lid such as at the handle and on the edge that sits into the skillet. It is an odd configuration to be sure as they do not seem to serve a functional purpose.

Attachments

• spidercast1.jpg
    spidercast1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 14
  • spiderlidtopb.jpg
    spiderlidtopb.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 16
are the 'bumps' on the bottom side of the lid anywhere near where the ends of the handle would be?
This almost had to be a case where the handle was cast first and then placed into the sand mold for the lid.. since this would have been cast well before they were using retractable handle sections in the lid pattern... I'm wondering if they are related to that process.

I will look closer in the morning as it is in the oven on its last round of seasoning. I will try to get a few better detailed pics of the handle bonding areas.:-D

D_Madden
The handle is a two piece bent together in the middle, it runs the same way as the gatemark so the tabs would not be a part of it.

Back