Having trouble with stripping a griddle (electrolysis).

DSeng

I picked up a Camp Chef 24" griddle that I have not been having any luck stripping by electrolysis. I have, however, been able to successfully strip three lodge pans but no luck with this griddle.

I'm wondering what may be the cause. The griddle is fairly large and barely fits in the rubbermaid garbage can I'm using, it touches the sides of the garbage can. I'm wondering if it just might be the 'seasoning' that was used from the factory, this is a brand new piece. The piece is made in China.

I'm using a 1' long piece of graphite and a 6v/2amp manual charger and sodium carbonate electrolyte. I've been successful with three lodge pans.

http://www.campchef.com/cast-iron/griddles/reversible-grill-griddle-24.html

Maybe I just need to resort to lye.

Thoughts anyone? I'd prefer not to have to go out and try to find some lye.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave, sounds like my teapot from China. But mine was paint. Lye wouldn't touch it but real paint remover (not latex) finally did. You may have a baked teflon type coating that paint remover won't touch either. More aggressive actions like sanding or self-cleaning oven cycle could hurt the piece and still leave some residue. You might just want to cook on it.

Hilditch

Per Camp Chef website:
Pre-seasoned with Camp Chef’s “True Seasoned Finish,” this grill/griddle has a natural cooking surface that is ready to use out of the box.
If it was new, I'd just use it as is.

Dang, that isn't going to fly. I won't use it unless I can season it myself. I guess I should have paid a little closer to the fine print. Thanks!

I don't know what "True Seasoned Finish" means and because it isn't coming off like any other seasoning I am paranoid about what it actually is.

Back