• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Healthyish Black Bean Brownies (no flour)

RustyP

If you've never had black bean brownies, you should give them a try. I thought they sounded really gross at first, but my girlfriend got me to try them and they're actually pretty good, and low-guilt!

CameraZOOM-20150311174457115.jpg

Recipe:
  1. Add to a blender (or tall bowl if you have an immersion blender):
    • 1 can black beans (15oz) - rinse off the juice and drain them in a strainer first
    • 3 eggs
    • 45g oil
    • 25g cocoa powder
    • 5ml vanilla
    • 25g splenda or 150g sugar
    • Big pinch of salt

2. Set oven to 350F with a skillet inside (#7 is a good size).

3. Blend ingredients until very smooth - you want to pulverize those bean skins so you can't tell they're there. My mom's ultra-powerful vitamix is good for this, but my gf doesn't even have a blender so we use her immersion blender.

4. OPTIONAL: Add mix-ins as desired - chocolate chips, walnuts, etc

5. Pull skillet out of oven and oil it. The oven probably isn't done preheating yet - that's okay! I rub the skillet down with butter because I LOVE salty buttery edges! You could probably use pam or crisco or whatever you like.

6. Pour in brownie batter and smooth it out a little bit with a spatula

7. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean

8. Remove from oven and enjoy! I usually serve straight from the skillet - it sticks a little bit and leaves layers behind if you try to turn it out onto a plate.

Here you can see the yellow foamy buttery edges that I like so much, especially in the skillet to the right:
CameraZOOM-20150312212233684.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Quick note:
I like doing all my cooking by weight. This way, I don't have to clean a million measuring cups and spoons and all of that.

Check out the digital scales on Amazon. They'll change your life!

Use Doug's link to Amazon to help support this webpage:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/castironcollector-20
and search for Oxo Scale. I bought the 11 lbs middle version - 5 lbs is way too small, and the 22 lbs version costs way too much and I've NEVER had to measure 22 lbs of ingredients before. Maybe if I needed to weigh my #15 skillet PLUS food inside of it...?

Last edited:
Back