• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Grandma's Waffles

Joseph, both sides of the iron need to be heated up equally. The cool side (top) will only be a few degrees cooler than the bottom side. Water drops should bounce on both sides before adding oil or batter.

Hilditch

If you haven't figured it out yet, please take Hilditch with a grain of salt. He's been around the block a few times, he knows a whole lot of things...and some of those things are actually true :-D

Sheesh, the civil war is over folks... No need to start a food war.

:icon_rofl:

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

If you haven't figured it out yet, please take Hilditch with a grain of salt. He's been around the block a few times, he knows a whole lot of things...and some of those things are actually true :-D

Which ones? :-D

Just thinkin', I bet this recipe would be kick-a** with oat or barley flour with an adjustment to the water. Different, but good. I must try them.

Hilditch

Update: Today I substituted pure oat flour for wheat flour in the above recipe, changing nothing else and it worked great. I don’t know if this helped, but I ground the flour myself and it was very fine like cake flour.

Note: A Hilditch cup of flour is 4.9 oz. The rest of the USA thinks it is 4.2 oz. They are wrong. I don’t know how much it was in cups (more than one) but it was 4.9 oz of oat flour. Second, the water could be bumped up to 1/2 cup as the batter was just a tad on the thick side, but not necessary. The batter got to rest 15 or 20 minutes before being used.

Good flavor, color, crumb and crunch. Next time I’ll buy my oat flour at a store. My mill did not not like making oat flour. We gave them a ‘9’. Give it a try.

Hilditch

I'm lost on the cups vs ounces thing. A cup is a unit of volume, while an ounce is a unit of weight. The weight of a cup of something is dependent on the something. I have two types of flour, and one is more finely ground than the other. I'm pretty sure that a cup of the finely ground flour weighs more than the other.

It seems Hilditch and Dan don't get along. Entertaining...

Hilditch and Dan play with each other, but never draw blood. He’s a good guy. You are right about the flour. Also with one type of flour if you sift it adding air and gently spoon it into a cup it will weigh less than if you pack the cup and thus have less or more flour. This affects how much liquid you will need to make the same consistency batter.

I don’t sift my flour and they come out rather consistently at 4.9 oz even with different kinds of flour rather than the 4.2 oz on the bag. So the amount of liquid in a recipe is gauged for that amount of flour. If I scooped it, rather than spooning it then it would be over 5 oz per cup.

If I haven’t confused you enough, ask for more.

Hilditch

Back