The pan that started it all

DonnaM

I don't remember how it happened, but some months ago I stumbled across a video of this guy talking about vintage skillets and suggesting that we might have one and not know it. So I checked around my garage and pulled this one out; it was pretty caked with crud. A guy on another website looked at my pictures and told me it was an "early handle small block Griswold" and that it was collectible. I didn't even know the word "Griswold," but that was all the hook I needed!

I'm attaching pictures of the crud-covered logo that I posted for him and some "after" pictures. (I haven't seasoned it yet.) I know it isn't very valuable, but it's valuable to me--sort of like that "first dollar bill" that you earn and frame....

IMG_2023 by donna manion, on Flickr

IMG_2556 by donna manion, on Flickr

IMG_2553 by donna manion, on Flickr

I know it isn't very valuable, but it's valuable to me--sort of like that "first dollar bill" that you earn and frame....

Maybe not as a collectible, but that pan is a better cooking instrument than most of the new stuff you can buy. A few small operations are now offering cast iron that looks as good as vintage pans, but they are significantly more expensive.

My first vintage piece was also a no. 8 SBL. Mine is a grooved handle, pn 704N. It quickly became my favorite pan, displacing a Lodge I've had for 5+ years.

Hey Donna,
That's kinda like my unmarked Wagner #8. I had found my Mom's old BSR #8, cleaned it up to roast some veggies, and got interested in CI. Started looking around under the cabinets, and low and behold, here's another #8 skillet (?). Think it came from an aunt, but really don't have a clue. Wife said, is there a forum for that (CI)? I didn't know, so here I landed. After an ID from the CIC forum, that unmarked Wagner #8, has turned out to be my "champ". Heck, I don't hardly use it now. It's just beautiful.......:idea:

Then, under the same cabinet, I found the BSR #8 Chicken Fryer (working on that now)...which belonged to my wife's great grandmother.....it just keeps on :shootself:

BSR #8 Chicken Fryer http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4864

Last edited:
My obsession started with a National/Wagner 1359 No.9 that my Mother gave me. Hundreds of pieces later and that one pan still never leaves the stove top. It's the perfect size for most anything.

I love reading these stories! Pictures would be nice, too.

My No.9 The one pan in my collection that will probably never see the lye bath.

IMG-3020,medium.1483860068.JPG
IMG-3021,medium.1483860068.JPG

I remember well my first vintage pan. I should, it's only been three weeks since I lucked into it at a local antique store. There were several pans there, but as I knew nothing about stripping and restoring cast iron I picked the one skillet that had been cleaned. All it needed was a good seasoning.

32306618241_e66725ed21_c.jpg

With that done I quickly put it to work making grilled cheese sandwiches. It did not disappoint. Here she is in her full glory.

32507584755_d4eab78df5_c.jpg

32507599885_300191f255_c.jpg

Donna what a great score for one that started it all. My Sbl was the third find, after joining here and reading I knew what it was from what I could see:) and a great price.
XqJVHDY.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Donna what a great score for one that started it all. My Sbl was the third find, after joining here and reading I knew what it was from what I could see:) and a great price.
XqJVHDY.jpg

tyiHxvj.jpg

Last edited:
Back