Don't Show, Just Tell

1. What is the first piece of cast iron cookware you actually owned?
A hand-me-down skillet from my former in laws that had been in their family for 3 generations. I never bothered to look into its branding then; I was just honored they offered it to me. And I am super sad to have mistakenly left it in my house (oven) when I moved a couple years ago. :covri::frown:

2. Do you consider yourself more a collector, a user, or both?
User

3. What is the first piece you acquired with an eye toward collecting?
Not looking to "collect" per se. I just enjoy cooking/baking in CI.

4. What is the first truly collectible piece you acquired?
I really don't know if I have anything "collectible" because I didn't buy any pieces for that purpose.

5. If you were forced to give up your collection except for one piece, what would that piece be?
My Wagner Ware two burner griddle. I love that thing and it has so many uses, I could never part with it.

6. Knowing it's hard to name a single favorite, name up to three CI items, rare or not, on your "holy grail" or "bucket list".
I don't have a bucket/holy grail list just yet.

#10 Wagner's 1891 Original piece circa 1990. I found it at the local dump, literally. I was looking for scrap metal for an art project and found this pan with a little rust on it. It did have a nicely factory polished cook surface, but was quite heavy. Ended up cleaning it up and using it for the next 7 years. It was my sole cast iron for most of that time. Now that I've been collecting more cast iron I am about to sell it off in favor of a finer, but still heavy unmarked Wagner.

Foremost, a user. I've been cooking with cast iron since I was a wee thing in momma's kitchen.
I am collecting a nice set for myself, so I keep the nicest example of each size that I find and sell the rest. I guess I'm drawn to cast iron because I like restoring things, once they are pretty and clean I get bored of them and send them off to market.

I bought a box of 7 random irons off of craigslist a few years ago. Mostly Lodge, a late Wagner and one Griswold. When I was looking online for information about them I found this site. I still use the #6 Griswold, and the #12 Wagner (even though it has a big crack)!

Must be that first #6 Griswold Small Block from Craigslist. I recently cleaned it down to bare iron, and now it's a real looker.

5. If you were forced to give up your collection except for one piece, what would that piece be?
I really like the size of my #9. And the one that I have is special to me because it's a Griswold slant block logo, but the logo is completely sulfur pitted away, and there is a cute 1 inch crack on the rim. That pan has so much character, and though it's not worth much, I think it's priceless.

6. Knowing it's hard to name a single favorite, name up to three CI items, rare or not, on your "holy grail" or "bucket list".
I hope that someday I find a #13, because pancakes would be a little easier to wrangle in there than my #12! Other than that, I just hope I find weird and unusual things.

7. What do your friends and family think of your obsession?
My friends don't realize how thrilled I am when I snag a crusty old mystery pan at the flea market, and they look a little worried when I bring pans dripping with black lye goo to the kitchen sink wearing gloves and goggles.... But, I'll never stop!

1A A #9 Griswold large cross that belonged to my wife's family.

2A Can I say neither? I don't consider myself a cook, and I don't have enough space or money for a collection. I dig old stuff, and I do a little camping, and CI is popular for that. I also like the restoration process.

3A Nothing yet.

4A The Gris.

5A Again, the Gris

6A I like the #3 I found, and would like a couple more. It fits in my camp oven. I'd like a #6 for something "medium" sized. And one of the things I do cook is bread, so a loaf pan is also on my list.

7A. My wife rolls her eyes at anything I bring home.

I've been a member for a little while but have yet to comment on this post, so here goes.
Lodge #12 DO that was a gift from my in-laws.

Both.

#7 LB Griswold. We bought it to cook with but wanted to buy a cooking skillet that was "collectible" and functional.

If not the #7 above, it would be the #9 LB Griswold we got the next week. It's in better condition than the #7.

That's a though one. I guess I will go with the Cresent Foundry DO that was given to me by my grandmother. Sentimental value over financial value.

Erie Spider and Wapak Indian Head would go into "holy grail" list.
Current "bucket list" #12 or larger Griswold.

7. What do your friends and family think of your obsession?
My wife and I both have the cast iron bug. My daughter is a culinary student, she likes to cook with cast iron but doesn't really care about the collectible side. Everyone else thinks it's a bit much, can only cook with a couple pans at a time anyways.

A generic Lodge rough surface dutch oven. Bought it in my 20's and used it like ever one else who didn't have a clue how to care for cast iron. When I dug it out years later to cook a stew in....it was rusted. After researching the internet on how to restore it I got "hooked" on collecting and restoring cast iron.

Both. Cook on cast Iron daily. And love to collect.

A Griswold #9 710 I. Never restored it. Had an incredible amount of seasoning use but was very well taken care of. Is my second favorite pan to cook with.
One I found last month. Erie #8 second series an anchor makers mark.
For collection purposes...The Erie #8. For cooking...My daily user...Wagner 10 inch chef skillet.
ERIE "Spider" pan, Any vintage Griswold #14 and #11 "ERIE" skillet

- A new production Lodge 10-1/4 inch skillet and a Lodge 10-1/2 inch griddle.
Both
- A 1940-1950S vintage Lodge #5 skillet
- A #8 10-1/2 inch BSR 1950s vintage inch skillet inherited from a grandmother many years ago.
- The #8 10-1/2 inch BSR 1950s vintage inch skillet inherited from a grandmother many years ago.
- Finex Classic Dinner set

First piece I owned was my mother's/grandmother's #10 Wagner heat ring skillet. Unfortunately, It cracked and I disposed of it before I became interested in collecting so I don't remember much else about it ... except that I almost cried when it cracked. First piece I actually bought for my self is a Lodge #8 Dutch oven ... back in about '91 or '92. Used it for hunting camp for years and finally brought it inside about 3 years ago. Perfect small corn bread maker.

Definitely both. Although, almost everything I own has been used at least once ... just to make sure it works. ;)

A Wagner Ware Pie Logo #3, 1053 F skillet with very particular casting flaws. (I've since acquired 4 more with the same marks. It's become my main niche.) I found it in the local "junk emporium" and it just kept saying, "Buy me. I'm soooo cute. Take me home." So I did and it is. They wanted $12, I paid $8.

A #4 single-notch Lodge arc logo skillet.

The #10 Wagner Ware, Sydney -O-, outside heat ring, 1060 C (with "Wagner" and "10c" ghosts. I use it more than probably any other piece, at least when I cook at home. My mother-in-law gave it to me to replace my mom's/grandma's skillet that cracked. I know she paid no more than $5 for it at a yard sale 'cuz she never gives more than $5 for anything at yard sales.

First, a fully marked Griswold #14 skillet ... for hunting camp as well as just to admire.

Second, A #7 Griswold, small logo, grooved handle skillet to go with the 3, 4, 5, 6, 8,and 9 I already have. I have a plated #7 but the plating is absolutely HORRIBLE ... ugly!

And finally, since I'm dreaming big ... one of those last few huge Griswold skillets that all the employees initialed when they closed up shop. Yeah, I know ... get in line.

As I am fairly young and very new to cast iron. The first piece I personally owned was a modern Lodge 12 inch skillet. I was hooked immediately and had to have more!

I would say I am more of a user, but I do have certain pieces I "don't" want to use...more for sentimental reasons.

2 pieces stand out in my mind....1 being a Wagner Ware dutch oven (no lid) and then a Favorite Lid

Trick question...someone people collect only certain brands, or certain sizes, or certain pieces...For me...prob my Wagner Ware Sidney -O- #8 skillet.

No brainer.....my grandmothers large skillet. Don't have any markings nor the size, but its important because it was hers.

1.Griswold Erie Spider 2. Wagner Ware Pie Logo 3. Wapak with the Indian Head logo (my husband is native American)

About a year ago I got into sous vide cooking and realized that everything I cooked sous vide needed to be seared afterward. I went out and bought a 12 inch Lodge and very quickly got hooked on cast iron cooking.

I'm a user first. I'm retired and cook 3 meals a day. It seems like I cook at least one thing in cast iron every day. I'm a collector wannabe. I've bought about 20 vintage pans in the last year

Probably a little #7 handle griddle with bottom gate mark.

I have some fantastic users but I doubt that I own anything truly collectible. Maybe a 5A "Wagner" Sidney O. (pre Wagner Ware?) that I learned from this website was produced only between 1915-1920.

#8 Griswold SBLBL (not the one I posted about earlier with the badly pitted cooking surface).

A) Reality: A fully marked Griswold oval roaster B) Fantasy: I was born and reared in Birmingham, AL. I have this fantasy that one day I'll be rummaging through a dusty old junk store and stumble upon a cache of BSR pans with heretofore unheard of beautiful large BSR logos on the bottom.

Hard to answer this on the Canadian side of the border...

First piece of cast I found a year or so ago was a 5SK 3 notch lodge, set me on a path to insanity. Still use it, great little egg fryer.

Both at the moment, slim pickings around these parts but found some really nice Canadian pieces.

McClary spider, marked X615.

McClary dutch ovens, X900 series. Many people want them, not letting them go. Best bread makers i've ever had.

Findlay number 10 dutch oven. 12" diameter, 9 1/2 pounds, can cook anything in it.

Top of the list is a large McClary roaster, not keeping my hopes up.
Large 3 leg bellied pot from any of the Canadian makers.
Old kettle from any Canadian makers. I know where there is a D. Moore, but a $300 price tag :cry:

1. First piece owned: Vintage 1975. I have no idea what skillet this was. I hated it. It left in the trash same year.

2. I consider myself a user more than a collector.

3. First piece with an eye toward collecting: A Griswold 151N waffle iron on a #88 high base shown on red velvet. I paid so much for this thing that I still have not used it, but have a few others that I use.

4. First truly collectable piece? That was it!

5. Keep 1 piece? The 1983 Lodge 10 SK. I'd fight like hell to keep my former wife's mother's Red Mountain BSR #7 skillet also before I let go.

6. CI on my bucket list? A spinner so I can experiment with reverse warping. Other than that, none.

Hilditch

A 13.5 inch Lodge 12SK3 skillet, bought it new a mere 2 months ago.

User, for now, but a collector once I've acquired a few more pieces.

A 1935-1959 smooth bottom #8 Wagner Sidney -O-

Maybe the Wagner mentioned in #3, or the Wagner Sidney O. straight/high arc #9 with heat ring I got a couple of weeks ago. A full set of either vintage would make me extremely happy.

My pre-1960 unmarked #10 Wagner. I do my best cooking on it and the kids gotta eat.

Finding a rusty old 30 gallon lard kettle with stand for dirt cheap in a barn and restoring it. When I make Chili I like to make a lot of it.

A #8 BSR dutch oven from the 1950s. Just got it cleaned up, finally. It has a crack in the lid, but is still fully usable.

Both, but primarily a user at the moment. Most of the pieces I have are either to be used or to be gifts at some point in the future.

A Wagner hammered, plated #8. It needs cleaning, but so far as I can see the plating is still intact.

Probably a #6 Wagner (Sidney -O-)

An unmarked #8 Wagner dutch oven, with scalloped drip rings in the lid and a matching trivet. Got it for the better half, and she loves it. Therefore it stays.

Go big or go home, yes? How about an unused, untouched Blacklock skillet still in its original store packaging? Just to settle the debate. :)

Wagner (no Sidney O) #7 w heat ring. Got it at a yard sale in L.A., the guy said it was his Grandmother's. Guy wanted it to go to a good home. It did.

Both -- I use some pieces daily and some just sit. Drives my wife crazy.

#10 in Diamond.

Erie #9 c

My mom's #3 Wagner. She used it to make the crepes for Manicotti.

Wagner #14

I haven't actually identified them yet, but I bought two old smooth pans from
a giant flea market about a year ago. I still cook in them daily!
I am definitely a user at this point, Only thing I don't cook in them is pasta.
I cook 3 times a day and every time it's in my lovely cast iron!
I am in a very small town and I'm still trying to just find cast iron at this
point. So because of that I'm not being too selective about what I'm looking
for. I'm still undecided as to my favorite brand or type.
I haven't yet, I'm just buying all the crusty old rusty pans I can find and
hoping to eventually find a gem :)
5. If you were forced to give up your collection except for one piece, what
would that piece be?
I know Lodge isn't exactly a collector's dream, but my 5 qt chicken fryers is
my go to pan. I can fry food in it, I can make a pot of chili big enough for
my whole family plus leftovers, and I can make a mean batch of chicken &
dumplings. I've had it about 3 months and the seasoning is becoming
perfect! It hardly ever leaves my stove!
6. Knowing it's hard to name a single favorite, name up to three CI items, rare
or not, on your "holy grail" or "bucket list".
I'm still so new to this that I can't name a favorite brand or name, but I am
trying to find an old chicken fryer, and old indoor dutch oven and various
unique pans that I can occasionally cook with but would mostly be for
display in my house.

A 12" Lodge purchased from Wal-Mart
Both
A friend gave me his father's Griswold #7 skillet with lid and I was hooked

Probably the #7, but they are all treasures in my mind.
The #7, there is also sentiment there
I would live to build a complete smooth bottom, large block Griswold set and a Wagner Sidney -O- set

I was at a yard sale and saw a Lodge Wok and bought it for $7. It was large enough that I thought I could cook spaghetti sauce in. That should show how much I knew about CI. I grew up with a CI frying pan but all the other pots in the house were steel.

I'd have to say both. I am a firm believer that you should use what you own so I use all what I've collected so far.

That would have to be the Wagner #2 frying pan. Not something that would see a lot of use but if I need it, now I have it.

Again, I'd have to say the Wagner #2

The Wagner 1088 because it's so multi-purposed.

Wagner 1054 smooth bottom frying pan
Wagner 1059 smooth bottom frying pan

A previous owner left a Griswold waffle iron in the basement of my parents house. I took it when I visited them in 1975, with their blessing, of course. At the same time they gave me a new omelet pan. I believe it was a Lodge. I still have the Griswold.

Both. I have about 35 pieces, but regularly use only three in the kitchen and three when I go camping.

A Wagner National #7 skillet in 2005.

Perhaps the Griswold waffle iron?

A no-name hammer finished chicken fryer with matching lid. The inside is very smooth and well seasoned. I can cook almost anything in it.

Any good old #2 or #4 skillets will catch my eye. I have only one now, a Lodge #4 with large pour spouts. Also, anything old with feet, such as a camp dutch oven.

An ex roomie left her CI pan behind. I cleaned it and started using it.

Both. I just found my first collectible.

3rd Series Erie #10

3rd Series Erie #10

Do you mean collectibles, or all the CI i own?

If the former, the Erie. If the latter, the first one i got.

I dont know enough to answer this

Wagner Sidney O. #10 I scored from a friends dad. I mentioned in passing I wanted a cast iron skillet to sear steaks in. He invited me to his barn to pick one out (think American Pickers style barn with a store front). It has a splotchy nickel finish on the outside but the cooking surface is flawless and smoother than glass. I've been hooked since.

More of a user, but I've been acquiring pieces more rapidly than my wife would like. I have 10 pieces so far. I may be able to consider myself a collector in the future.

A Griswold's Erie #12 I found at a yard sale.

The same Griswold's Erie #12 mentioned above.

I love the first skillet I acquired.

Not really sure at this point in my collecting career. I'll have to update as I continue the hobby. My current quest is to find a nice dutch oven and chicken fryer.

Last edited:
Back