Head Scratchers

MDFraley

I didn't want to walk on Jack's thread in Show & Tell regarding hammered skillets so I thought I would just do a post here and see if anyone might I.D. these beauties. The first two pic's are the ones I'm not sure of. The third pic I added a Lodge #3 (hammered nickel plated) and a CHF #3 just for comparison. In the first pic there is a #1 w/ four dots on bottom side of handle, a double zero (00) w/ a line under the zero & four dots lower right, one with two dashes = and four dots lower middle. When I did the handle comparison's I added one additional small skillet that is nickel plated with a square and two zero's underneath it plus four dots at the bottom center.
My thoughts are that they are Lodge (sample type skillets) without the traditional heat rings but only if you compare the handles. Any thoughts are welcome.

Attachments

• P3010320 - Copy.jpg
    P3010320 - Copy.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 86
  • P3010324 - Copy.jpg
    P3010324 - Copy.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 86
  • P3010325 - Copy.jpg
    P3010325 - Copy.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 103
Re: Head Scratcher's

One last skillet and I will drop the subject regarding hammered stuff. Attached is a #3 "ugly hammered" skillet, as they have been dubbed that appears to have been bronzed??? I say that because of the color appearance after being cleaned. Purchased from a local antique store it was covered in crud so it went through the customary lye bath and e-tank. When finished it looked to be off color on the exterior yet the inside surface was the normal dark color as one would expect. First thought was that it either was exposed to high heat or a bad nickel plating There's no warping and the bronze color is consistent on the outside up to the lower portion of the handle. Again...Any thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

• P3010327 - Copy.jpg
    P3010327 - Copy.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 70
  • P3010328 - Copy.jpg
    P3010328 - Copy.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 63
  • P3010329 - Copy.jpg
    P3010329 - Copy.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 64

I think that last one is a unmarked Wagner skillet.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

It was probably nickel plated.

Agree with Bonnie on it being unmarked Wag. The hammered pattern is too uniform and "nice" to be a hammered ugly.

Kevin/Bonnie...Think you both are right. Had forgot about the marked Wagner I have and when I did a comparison it was spot on. Now that I have my display done I will be able to do more comparing with less hassle.
Thanks again.

One last skillet and I will drop the subject regarding hammered stuff. Attached is a #3 "ugly hammered" skillet, as they have been dubbed that appears to have been bronzed??? I say that because of the color appearance after being cleaned. Purchased from a local antique store it was covered in crud so it went through the customary lye bath and e-tank. When finished it looked to be off color on the exterior yet the inside surface was the normal dark color as one would expect. First thought was that it either was exposed to high heat or a bad nickel plating There's no warping and the bronze color is consistent on the outside up to the lower portion of the handle. Again...Any thoughts appreciated.

Prolly cleaned with a brass brush at some point

Here are my two small hammered skillets. The larger one is 3 7/8" outer diameter across the top. The handle is a little over 2" as measured on the bottom. It does not look like the Lodge handle to me. Only the X on the bottom. The smaller one looks like MDFraley's small, with 6 dots over a | mark. Nothing on either handle.

Attachments

• Hammered.jpg
    Hammered.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Hammered 1.jpg
    Hammered 1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 19
Back