• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

One Pot Cheeseburger Casserole

SpurgeonH

I think it is interesting to look at who "invented" the recipe. In this case, the recipe I used was from damndelicious.com. After I made the recipe and was saving it as a "keeper" in my Evernote account, I noticed that website "adapted" it from number-2-pencil.com.

NOTE: Sharon asked about the size of my skillet. I used a new Lodge. It is a #10 and measures 12 inches across. I think it is two inches deep.

Here is the full recipe for the cheeseburger casserole I posted pictures of the other day (from Damn Delicious):

Ingredients:

* •1 tablespoon olive oil
* •1 1/2 pounds ground beef
* •1 onion, diced
* •Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
* •1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
* •1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
* •2 cups chicken broth
* •1/4 cup ketchup
* •1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
* •1 pound rotini pasta
* •2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
* •1 Roma tomato, diced
* •2 green onions, sliced

Directions:

1. Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add ground beef and onion and cook until beef has browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Drain excess fat.
2. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, ketchup, mustard, pasta and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 13-16 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and top with cheese. Cover until cheese has melted, about 2 minutes.
4. Serve immediately, garnished with tomato and green onions, if desired.

CHANGES I MADE:
- I did not add the two cups of water (or at least I have no memory of doing it.) because the pan was already full to the top and had plenty of liquid in it for the pasta to cook in.
- I added a healthy pinch of red pepper flakes when browning the meat.

HERE IS A LINK TO THE RECIPE THE ABOVE RECIPE WAS ADAPTED FROM:

http://www.number-2-pencil.com/2013/06/26/one-pot-cheeseburger-casserole/

- I noticed this recipe used canned whole tomatoes and cut them up. The recipe I used called for a can of diced tomatoes. I think diced is the way to go.
- The original recipe stirs in a cup of cheese and pours the other over the top. I put both cups on top. Next time I'll stir one in. That sounds better.
- The original recipe has pickles on the ingredient list. I thought about adding some to mine as a garnish to give it more of a "cheeseburger" look, but I didn't think of it while shopping and didn't have any sliced pickles in the frigidaire. I think if you were making this for kids, the pickles would be a nice touch.

Thanks for taking the time to post the recipe. I will have to give that one a try, when you first posted the pictures I had wondered if you precooked the pasta first. Meaning drain the pasta)
Now that I read it I see that wasn't the case. Looks like a go in my book.

Steve,

Sharon, I think next time I make this I will try using a DO. That way I don't have to worry about the volume.

Spurgeon, after looking over this recipe again, I agree that a DO would be a good idea. I've got to try this soon--thanks again for sharing!

Follow-up: I made this casserole, with a few differences, but I did use my 5 qt. DO, and added the water Spurgeon left out. Pretty tasty dish. The quantity was sufficient for serving several people, which means for us lots of leftover; actually improves with reheating in my opinion however. I'm keeping this recipe. Spurgeon, thanks again for sharing and suggestions.:)

Glad you liked it and that it worked out!

... and thanks for reminding me of the recipe! ha! We are having a Christmas lunch at our warehouse tomorrow and everybody is supposed to bring aomething. I was going to make cornbread or maybe a pie. This casserole would be good.

Back