Positioning "no Hole" Items in the Electro Tank

WallyF

This definitely needs to visit the electro tank.

https://imgur.com/a/0xAH3

Any suggestions on how to keep the inside facing the anodes since there is no hole to suspend it from above?

Also, is that a gate mark on the bottom? Anyone seen something like this?

I've never done something that had nothing to hang from... when I do lids I run a copper wire hook through the handle and then a second solid copper hook inside the lip on the inside of the lid... that helps keep it upright between anodes on front and back.

with something like this I think you'll almost have to clamp it between a couple of scraps of wood and hang from the wood (I have some little 1/2 x 1/2 scraps about 12-14 inches long, that's what I would use)... might be some shadowing so move the wood scraps and the clamped area around a bit... looks like this might be in the tank for several sessions.

I use a plastic milk crate inside the SS plates and lean the piece against the plastic. No contact is made and it works well.

I use SS spring clamps - the same one used for automotive batteries. Some have teeth and grip on nearly any surface.

I'm just thinking out of the box, because I've never tried electrolysis so, be that as it may, I'd try placing a ceramic bowl on the bottom of the tank, and resting your piece on top of it.:redface:

Also, is that a gate mark on the bottom? Anyone seen something like this?

Yes to the gate mark. Yes, I looked at piece like that a long time ago that dropped into a cast iron cook stove opening. The top flange on your example is much smaller than the example I examined. I passed buying it because the rust had pitted it to the point of no return. Can't remember the the name of the stove.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions about how to hold the no hole piece in the electro tank. I'll probably try a c clamp.

I won't be surprised if there is a lot of pitting, just like the very rusty BSR skillet my brother sent me in August.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Yes to the gate mark. Yes, I looked at piece like that a long time ago that dropped into a cast iron cook stove opening. The top flange on your example is much smaller than the example I examined. I passed buying it because the rust had pitted it to the point of no return. Can't remember the the name of the stove.
Thanks Bryan for identifying the piece. There is no way I would figure it out on my own. Was this insert used to cook or did it have a different purpose?

Back