Crisco vs Flax seed oil?

Getting a bit off topic, but I'm curious if you ever have any problems/concerns with glass and the hot grease pouring in. I only started saving bacon drippings recently, but I'm using an old coffee can specifically because I wasn't sure the glass jar would be safe with the quick heating from the grease.
Let the first batch of grease cool in the pan before pouring into a glass container. Subsequent additions of hot grease will have their heat absorbed by the previous drippings.

I usually sit down and eat my meal and give the grease a chance to cool down a little before I poor it in. Also, the older Ball jars (much like cast iron) were better made. I am a big fan of german potato salad so saving the bacon drippings is a must for me.

Hi All!
I hope all is well,

I have been seasoning with beef tallow (100% Lard)-- The reason I do this is that I do whatever possible to stay away from Crisco or anything containing Partially Hydrogenated Oils (PHOs) partially because of the health effects, but secondly there is a likelihood they they will be removing PHO's Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) status- and then removing from the market.

After I let the pieces fully cool, I wipe down the pieces with olive oil to finish.

The other good part is it makes my house smell like hamburgers, which is always a benefit:-D

-J

I have about 4 qt. containers in the freezer that hold rendered out beef tallow. Find all sorts of use for it, from time to time. Get fat free from local supermarket and then render it out a big cast iron pot outside. Never used it for seasoning CI. Crisco is my goto. Tried the beeswax and it worked beautifully. Question about all this is, "If the material polymerizes at 425 to 450 degrees, what does it matter what it is?" If it polymerizes, it polymerizes, in my mind. Maybe some more experienced members can straighten this out for me, dunno. What is better?-->What works for you in your experiences, experiments and use, is my answer.

Is this the "flaking" people talk about with flaxseed?

I don't see any actual flakes, but after cooking I'm finding clouds of missing seasoning on my flaxseed-seasoned pans...

Happened to my Griswold LBL #8.

Happened to my Renfrow Ware DO:
CameraZOOM-20150226221438881.jpg

Happened to my AB&I #15:
CameraZOOM-20150219180559563.jpg

CameraZOOM-20150222190245037.jpg

At first I thought it was just changing the color (for the better - grayer rather than brown/red under the seasoning), but after my #15 started rusting where the food touched it, it was obvious that the seasoning is disappearing.

I've used flax or Crisco as the seasoning on pretty much all of my pans. The one exception was a Gris that I hit with coconut and then topped off with Crisco.

As far as "flaking" goes, I noticed it happening on a couple of my pans when I used flax seed. I stripped them again and repeated the process. I've had no problems with them since. But yeah, flaking does occasionally happen with flax seed, it seems.

Even with that, flax seed oil gives a really nice surface to cook on. If done right, your pan is like glass pretty much right off the bat. I can't overstate that. At least in my experience.

If you use flax seed, ramp the temp up to 500, then let those babies cool in the oven afterwards (might take several hours) and it provides a very nice base surface.

Pardon my ignorance, but please explain "flax seed" vs "flax seed oil". I've just gotten some flax seed oil, and am wanting to try it out despite the flaking thing.

Groovy. I just cancelled it off Amazon, and I'll go to the store.

I don't use Crisco for some of the reasons mentioned here, so looking for a high smoke natural oil.

Cold press refined organic flaxseed oil for initial season up to maybe six coats of season
about 13 bucks 8 ounces it works great its got a high flash smoke Point. you have to buy it and organic food store one of those fancy stores and its got a expiration date on it so you should stored in your frigerator after you open it too the good thing you can put it in your oatmeal and other food is very good for you
It will flake if you use your pan has a high hot oil and grease level in them such as bacon.
I bake my bacon ( Never fry bake it again)

I got my season recipes process from Sheryl Canters blog off Google, pretty intense but its very good especially if you bake a lot with your cast iron

for maintenance I use High grade olive oil refined coconut oil whatever I really have on hand or the oil I just cooked with in that particular paN

Note I don't deep fry so I couldn't say what works for frying.

on Facebook I hear this new product of someone's developed called crisbee and have heard very good things about it but I've never tried it personally

Great threads and posts.

Good info. I went with refined grapeseed oil. Setting up my e-Tank maybe this weekend and start strippin' and seasonin'

Funny to see this thread still going.

I'd done the flax seed thing and gave up on it shortly thereafter. I've been using Crisco, but I just got some beeswax and made a "puck" tonight. I wasn't sure of the ratio to use, so I tried 1:4 wax:Crisco. Hopefully I'll get a chance to give it a shot tomorrow night.

Funny to see this thread still going.

I'd done the flax seed thing and gave up on it shortly thereafter. I've been using Crisco, but I just got some beeswax and made a "puck" tonight. I wasn't sure of the ratio to use, so I tried 1:4 wax:Crisco. Hopefully I'll get a chance to give it a shot tomorrow night.

I regularly bring up the conversation of Beekeeping when talking to my Mother on the phone. She's an avid gardener, and this gives me another reason she should keep bees. So I can have some wax. :-|

I'm gonna go with the oil / beeswaxwax combo, but use grapeseed oil instead. Make a paste.

I do this now with Tung / Citrus oil, mixed with beeswax and a little carnauba wax for wood countertops, butcher block, cutting boards, etc.

Back