Griswold 8 Tite Top DO. A Few Questions.

KevinB

This stuff keeps following me home lately. Found this at an antique mall that usually has nothing but new Lodge marked "Antique" and priced for more than I can buy it new.

The top of the lid is unmarked, the inside is marked, but weakly. The BB and RB both show these with a patent date. This one has a patent number. The ones I've seen on line with the patent number have this lid, so am I safe assuming that they go together?

Any information on which version, patent date or patent number is earlier?

I'm not sure who did it, but it was wiped with an oil that has now turned very rancid. This one is going on my "clean soon" list.

https://imgur.com/a/S3uAF9v

The lid is not weakly marked, it's enameled. Griswold called it a "Clean Easy" feature. I'll have to get back to you on the match vs. marriage.

also.. .make sure you read up on the cleaning for the enamel pieces... don't just throw this one in the lye bath, lye can etch or dull the enamel on the inside of the lid.

I was wondering about that, but the only caveat in the cleaning section was not to use a self cleaning oven on enamel. There is no rust, so I wouldn't bother with electrolysis. The enamel is stained a bit, and might come clean with a good scrubbing. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I've heard of people 'floating' these upside down in the lye tank to remove gunk from the top side, but keeping the enamel out of the lye. And I've used electrolysis on these, but I put the enamel side against the wall of the tank and only have the anode facing the top of the lid... then treat the enamel like you would leCreuset or other enamel piece... clean with something not too abrasive and intended for enamel finishes.

Back