Wagner 11

Adam_R.

I just picked up this Wagner 11 at a flea market by my hunting cabin. I don't usually prefer the old Wagners to cook in because they are so light, ( I feel like they get a hot spot in the middle on my electric range) but it was reasonably priced and I've never seen an 11 in the wild before. Funny enough, on the Trademarks and logos section of this site it also shows an 11 for this style. Were 11's in this style rare compared to other sizes?

Attachments

• IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 113
I didn't notice that until you said, that's neat. I've never had a piece with a ghost mark before. At least I don't think so...

For that size and a great price it would of come home with me to. I'd make it a fine user and doubt I'd be looking for a replacement of a different maker.

Steve,

Recent eBay history shows they have sold from $91 to $165. I have somewhere between 300-400 skillets right now, and have sold probably another 200, and I have only seen one 11 ever (a Griswold). For me, they are much harder to find than 13's.

Adam, I always preheat my Wagners in the oven. That way I don't have a problem with uneven heating if I transfer the pan to the stovetop. But usually I just cook with them in the oven. Here's my Wagner 11. It was one of the first pans I bought when I got serious about collecting CI. It's great cooking up a roast chicken. Plus it's a good looker! I love these block Wagner skillets.

Attachments

• IMG_1193.jpg
    IMG_1193.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 43
I have the 10, 11, and just a little newer 12. The 10 and 11 are my two favorite skillets. The 12 is just a little more than I want to wrangle around the stove top.

IMG_1501_zps798882e2.jpg

IMG_1877_zps85yojaio.jpg

IMG_1867_zps6plpq5nk.jpg

Just got home and went to look for this skillet in the Red / Blue book. Couldn't find the exact skillet. Closest I can find is page 10 of the Red book. The one in the top left corner titled "Wagner". But that one has an arc'd name. Is this the "same" skillet or is mine just not listed.

The skillet in the OP here has more in common with the one at lower left of pg. 11 of the RB as well as the one at upper right. This is pure speculation, but bear in mind that, around this time frame, Wagner had been producing "Sidney" brand skillets in the Sidney Hollow Ware foundry it had earlier acquired, and continued to do so, apparently, albeit in the Wagner plant, for some time after selling that same foundry back to its original owner. In those two RB skillets, you can see certain things. The lower left one has what appears to be an arc shaped area at 12 o'clock where an arc "WAGNER" may have been. The "SIDNEY" at upper right also has areas that imply earlier markings may have existed. Quite possibly, and again, speculation, the OP skillet may have been made from a pattern that saw previous duty as a "SIDNEY" (not SHW) pattern. Similarly, the skillet at upper right on RB page 11 may have been from a "WAGNER SIDNEY O." pattern that had its "WAGNER" and "O" removed in order to make "SIDNEY" (again, not SHW) skillets.

What we need here is a psychic or a time machine! I bet there are some great stories connected to these variations in markings. Anyway you look at it, that is a really neat skillet! Good score, in my opinion.:icon_thumbsup:

That's great back story and speculation, thanks for adding that color.

Just looking at the RB now. It does resemble the one on the lower left of page 11. I guess I was thrown off since it doesn't show that as being made in a size 11.

Noob questions:

Why isn't this skillet covered in the RB/BB? They just didn't have one in the collection?

The RB/BB seems very comprehensive, how often do others run into stuff that isn't covered in there.

Do we know what other sizes were made in the style like mine?

Thanks for all of the commentary from everyone, very helpful

Last edited:
Adam,
That's a good question but one that takes thought from the owner. Not all pieces are available to the person or persons putting the book ready to print then. Authors try their best to show all examples they have access to, and at times pay to ship items from collectors to photograph at expense.

Here is an example of something other than CI I collect. This is a WW1 honor bayonet given for bravery in combat. Less than ten reported known and from a well respected collector from the 1950's told me it's the first one he has seen that was named. It's been on the net for some time and many long time collectors have seen it. As of lately you and my friends here get a peak till I get a email for photos for a new reference book. Meaning this one has never been in a book but it's only one known named to owner.

This is triple etched which means both sides and spine of blade etched. Date about 1918 imperial time frame.

Steve

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I don't mean to toot my own horn with this, but only one more to add.

I wish I was able too post larger pictures because the workmanship of some of the German blades is long gone: kinda like good CI, good stuff was labor intensive and cost money.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 19
Back