• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Cookie dough pie

Mike F

Credit goes to www.modemac.com (recipe has been slightly modified based on the results of my trials). This is a little different than a skillet cookie; it has a pie-like thickness and an almost fudge-like consistency if served before completely cooled. I like to serve this with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.

2 cups all-purpose flour (I use 1C A/P and 1C pastry flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
12 ounces chocolate chips - semisweet, milk chocolate, or both
Coarsely ground rock salt (optional)

Preheat your oven to 325F. Grease the cooking surface of a #8 cast iron skillet, including the sides.

In a medium bowl (I use a stand mixer), mix together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. After the sugars and butter are mixed (creamed) together, add egg and vanilla and mix until thoroughly blended.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add these to the mixing bowl and mix until a thick, clay-like batter forms. You may have to scrape down your mixing bowl once or twice.

Pour in the chocolate chips and mix to incorporate.

Empty your batter into the cast iron skillet. Using a large spoon or spatula (or by pressing it down with your hands), spread it all out over the pan. At this point you may sprinkle the optional rock salt on top of the dough.

Bake at 325 for 40 minutes, then let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.

Pics are as follows:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139658521@N07/shares/V89Yu2

The last picture (the one of the wedge) was taken the next day. Once left to completely cool you will have an ultra-thick chocolate chip cookie.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
If you feel a little adventurous when making this recipe or any other chocolate cookie recipe, add some pureed habaneros or any other hot pepper to the dough when mixing it up. Most people are surprised at how the chocolate and hot peppers compliment each other.

I use 1 to 5 habaneros for a recipe this size depending on the heat level I desire at the time.

(Ground pepper works too)

Mike That looks good, and after reading it I think I'll have to try that one. It did get me thinking of a brownie recipe I saved over the summer that had a similar use of rock salt on top, but I haven't tried it yet.

Check your PM's I'll forward the recipe to you for a look.

Steve,

Back