Potato Pancake

MDFraley

Not so much of sharing a recipe but more of a "how to". I searched the forum and didn't see anything regarding potato pancakes. There are thousands of things that use potatoes in recipe's but I remember growing up Mom used left over mashed potatoes to fry in the skillet. I usually just throw away what's left since they are not an expensive dish to make. On occasions I do save them and try to make potato pancakes by simply mixing some flour with them and fry in a skillet. More times than not they fall apart while trying to turn them or simply taste flat so to speak and nothing like mom's cooking.
What am I doing wrong??? Is there a secret step I'm leaving out???
Would love to hear what works best from someone so lay it on me.

This is probably Bonnie's chance to get back at me for ribbing her about gravy so take your best shot Bonnie.

Mr. Fraley, Checked with my mom 86yrs she said to make the potato paddy,then and dredge it in milk,egg and flour then fry it not too fast (I suppose on Medium) until golden brown and enjoy...Tom:glutton:

MD, I need some hints about mom's potato pancakes. On a scale between fried mashed potatoes and pancakes, where did they fall? Flavor? Solid or light? Salty or sweet? Served with salt & pepper or syrup? Thin or thick?

Hilditch

Hilditch....Fried mash potatoes. Salt & pepper....That was the country way I remember them. Not sweet like a traditional pancake.

Bonnie...Did not use an egg. Maybe that is the missing ingredient. Should have paid more attention I guess.

Thanks...

I’d try mixing 1/4 amount of flour into the potatoes - mixing it well. Then I would separate two 3 or 4 oz portions. Make one with a tbsp of milk (maybe more) and another with a tbsp of beaten egg. Fry them up in butter if see if you are closer. The flour and milk (kindergarten glue) and egg will both have sticking power but a slightly different flavor.

Hilditch

Michael,
My mother in law sent me this recipe. My son really likes them.

Prep time
5 mins
Cook time
15 mins
Total time
20 mins

Serves: About 12 pancakes
Ingredients
2 cups leftover real mashed potatoes
1 egg
¼ cup flour
½ teaspoon onion powder<<<<we use fine chopped Onion
1 tablespoon milk
Instructions
In large bowl, combine ingredients well. The batter will be thick.
Cook by dropping about 3 tablespoons of batter onto a greased hot skillet or non-stick pan. Cook about 6 minutes, then flip and press flat. Cook another 6 minutes.

Hope it works for you.

Jack

My mom's "recipe" was similar, except she never measured anything. Near as I can recall it was one egg, about 1/4 cup flour, and about 4 cups of left over mashed potatoes. No milk. S&P was already in there from when the mashed potatoes were originally made. Nowhere near what would normally be considered a batter. Probably closer to forming hamburger patties.

Just had to jump in on this one...

We always try to make extra mashed potatoes so we can have the leftovers for breakfast on another day! I make them easy-peasy with nothing added to the mashed potatoes. The secret is to have dry, very dry leftover potatoes. Otherwise they will "melt" during cooking.

Melt butter in medium temp skillet while forming potato patties, small burger size - about 3". Don't crowd them or they will stick together and you'll end up with a skillet size mess! Be very patient,,, don't try to flip them until they form a nice crust on the bottom. Once flipped, you can gently squish them down a tad as they will now be held together by that bottom crust. Let the second side get all crusty and get ready to enjoy with a bit more S & P and most important... a couple dippy eggs!!

Hope you have success as they are indeed yummy! Simple AND yummy,,, Doesn't get much better than that!

Donna

Got me thinking. Dry could be an important technique here. Cooking on moderate to get the crust is normal. Next time I will cook on low. Yes, it will take longer to crust but it will also give the patty an opportunity to dry out more, like with hash browns.

Hilditch

Not Donna, but "dippy eggs" are eggs with the yolk still runny so you can dip your toast, biscuit, etc. Could be sunny side up, over easy, over medium or whatever just as long as the yolk is still runny. At least, that's the way I understand it. Had never heard that term either until a year or so ago.

Thanks Donna.....I talked to my cousin (72yrs.) yesterday and she said basically the same as you. Only difference was she uses bacon grease and spoons the hot grease on top the patty while it is browning and then flips them. Guess everyone has their own technique and I'll just have to find mine.

Surprised JMoss didn't know what dippy/dipping eggs are. He's older than me...:glutton:

Back