Not Cookware but Still Cool

JGGregory

I found this rusting away in the yard of a scrapper and just couldn’t help but to rescue it. It’ll be a great way to display some choice pieces.
First pic is as I found it (after I drained the water out and put it together).
The second pic is after the door spent some time in the Etank and had a little stove polish applied.

Attachments

• 1BA77FB1-C1A3-4A3E-B261-30998E51F9CE.jpg
    1BA77FB1-C1A3-4A3E-B261-30998E51F9CE.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 0939362C-6FEA-4D45-87E8-CF0EC22A4597.jpg
    0939362C-6FEA-4D45-87E8-CF0EC22A4597.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 62
How are you going to restore it? Are you going to turn a swimming pool into an e-tank lol.

I would like to see it when finished. Beautifully done door.

Good save! Nice little trash burner. It looks like it will clean up nicely. I've used kiddie pools before for E tanks. Do a side, flip it, repeat until done. Slow and messy but it works. Another choice would be a plywood box lined with heavy plastic. You could put the whole thing in then.

This is actually fairly easy to restore. There a 4 hand hammered rods that run down each corner. Each one has a square nut threaded onto the end of the rod. I’m wondering about the age of this. Each nut was cut from flat stock and each is a different size. With a lot of patience, liquid wrench and rust remover I was able to take the stove apart without breaking anything. Each piece of the stove has its own gate marks. Pretty cool. I’ll post pics when I’m all finished with it.

Rodney, how would you get the rust from inside? Do you suspend a piece of metal inside?
Yes. Above and below. Electrolysis works better with line of sight. The last time I did it was for a cabinet for a radial arm saw. I put one anode on the bottom, put a panel on a couple blocks and put another anode above. Shift to get the areas covered by blocks and repeat.

JGGregory I would love to see some progress pictures too.

Back