Any Idea on a Maker for This #8 Skillet

Scott.L

Sadly while cleaning this skillet i found a crack but i have a matching sister in the E-tank. Anyhow this skillet has some destinct marks on it as pictured, just wanted to know if anyone knows what foundry or if it is just another mystery skillet. Bottom is marked with an X close to the handle but also has 120 in the middle of the bottom. there are two small dots on the underside of the handle along with two small notches that are repeated on the heat ring close to the handle.

Attachments

• 0926182102 (Mobile).jpg
    0926182102 (Mobile).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 0926182101b (Mobile).jpg
    0926182101b (Mobile).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 0926182101c (Mobile).jpg
    0926182101c (Mobile).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 152
I'm no expert by any means, but I'm going to say

you have yourself a Southern Mystery Skillet. Nobody knows who made them but they are distinguished by several aspects found on yours, notably:

1. Heat Ring
2. Raised number on handle
3. Small spouts-I've never heard of any other skillet with raised numbers on the handle AND small spouts.
4. Webbed handle with triangular raised pad-just like yours

The only features yours has that mine doesn't is all the markings on the bottom-mine has absolutely none. That being said, I'm almost positive you have a SMS. They aren't worth all that much but are great users-mine is my go-to biscuit pan!

Doug
I agree, have seen many SMS but never one with these markings. Sadly when i got the matching one cleaned it also had a small crack in it. Family members say the lady cooked everything on full high heat all the time lol.

I have found and restored an exact duplicate of the pan shown in this post. I'm now sure that it is a SMS, but would like to date it and find out who made it.

Back