Smoke Point

I've been adding thin layers of Crisco to my skillet after each use. My method is to wash with soap/water, rinse, towel dry, and set on burner to completely dry. Then I add a very small amount of Crisco. It always smokes on me, however, and I'm wondering if anything is wrong with going to that point.

The pan looks, and works great (shiny, and smooth).

Thanks.

Personally I've gotten away from the habit of highly heating my CI after towel drying. Really, just a brief exposure over low heat, just enough to warm it a bit, is enough to facilitate evaporation of any residue moisture after towel drying.

And I no longer apply the very thin protective oil layer (I use canola) while it's still hot. I still do it, but after it's cooled again. Actually, for a while I stopped applying it altogether but started again, I think it adds value protecting the CI.

Basically, it was based around what I wanted to accomplish - remove residue moisture and protect the pan. From my observations I don't believe a post-wash heat-to-smoke activity will build any more meaningful seasoning than just cooking with it. But it does significantly increase the cool-down time before you can put it away. And worst case, if you get distracted doing other dishes or whatever and let it burn too high for too long, I believe there is the potential to actually damage the seasoning.

But that's just my opinion. Everybody seems to have different methods and, whatever works for you...

I completely agree with the above. Especially about taking the time to heat the pan that hot increasing the chances of walking off and forgetting it.

I wash mine, turn the burner on the lowest setting and once it's dry I use the super low heat to melt the crisco for application of a thin layer. For me this cleans the pan a little more and protects it for the next round of use and is nothing to do with seasoning the pan further!

Back