• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Comfort Food ...cast Iron Meatloaf...

CDLaine

I am not a Chef.

So, I thought I'd give CI meatloaf a try. Didn't have Saltines (didn't want oatmeal/bread crumbs) so, I thought i give Club crackers (2 cups) a try. All ingredients pictured (season to taste)+(2 large eggs) added to 2 lbs. Angus Beef Ground 80/20. Preheat to 350 degrees.... oiled the skillet, 1st coat of top paint with Heinz Catsup and Worcestershire sauce. At 40 min. check temp... (92 degrees) ...repaint with Heinz and Worcestershire sauce wait 30 min., re-check temp. (142 degrees) , repaint (last) with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and wait 20 min. .

Half-way thru added another cast iron skillet to the oven... sweet corn, brussel sprouts, and, small red potato.

Final temp. as shown.... (163 degrees)...last addition... drizzled sage honey over the top (offset the SBR BBQ..."Spicy") for those with discriminating palates... covered with foil tent x 10 min. .

You might want to give this a try. Looking forward to leftover meatloaf sandwiches. Bride went back for seconds.... high praise indeed.

p.s. I would haved draped bacon over the top at the start...but, alas, no bacon. :roll:

Charles
http://imgur.com/a/PkeVX

Nice job CD.
Those veggies are a great complement to the meat loaf.

For no particular reason, I have never made meatloaf in a cast iron pan. May have to give it try now.

Jack

Thanks Jack.... I must be honest...this was my first time doing meatloaf in cast iron. I admit... easy as any other method. I did like that the bottom had crunchy crust when I sliced into the loaf. It may have been even better today... (heated) , served with catsup, tomato slices, pepper, on Rye toast. Mercy. I was trying to come up with..."what would I do different next time ?".... would not change a thing. I think the crushed Club Crackers gave it a "buttery" taste. 10 min. prep, 90 min. bake.... easy. Give t a try.

Charles

No body likes meat loaf at home,only me,next time I bake meat loaf I'm going to add,mushrooms,diced onion,bell pepper,bacon,cilantro,cheddar cheese cubes,I think the most important condiment is mustard,2 spoons,and some black pepper,my mom she used to add mustard when I was a kid,and it was delicious,I may try some jalapeño,just to add more flavor,all of this will be added to the meat,uncooked,I wish to have one of those new lodge bundt mold to bake it

Back