Red Mountain #12 lid

JaredS

Today I found a size 12 Dutch oven that had a BSR red mountain lid. I don't know how to identify BSR dutch ovens, but I know the lid. I assume the oven matches the lid because it fits, and I know BSR sizes are generally larger so if the lid fits the oven I think they are a pair?

Unfortunately the oven may or may not have a crack in the bottom. It is so crusty it's hard to tell if it's a crack or casting issue. The lid is in great shape though. They want $50 for both. Even if cracked, is this a terrible deal?

I'd say $50 for an intact #12 DO and lid sounds OK, but if cracked, I'd have to pass. Have have seen BSR DOs marked the same as the skillets, in both the Red Mountain and Century styles. Also a #12 DO with the large 12 at 6 o'clock and Made in USA at 12 o'clock, indicating they-- as other makers-- were not as particular about updating large piece patterns to the latest markings. If yours is smooth bottomed, has either of the typical BSR marking styles, and a single pour spout, it should be a BSR.

Back