Initial Seasoning Gives My Wife a Headache.

Many do. An oven thermometer is helpful to determine what burner setting gives the temp at which you want to season.

I've done it more often on a grill than in the oven. Works fine. I've used a simple technique of how long I could hold my hand 1 inch over the grill to estimate temperature. Google for more info. It's loosey-goosey range-wise, but since seasoning isn't an exact science, it has sufficed for me.

Never thought to use an oven thermometer. Duh!

Debbie

Why seasoning on a grill, do you find it leaves marks on the bottom of the pan from the grill grates or do you elevate somehow?

OP, perhaps try Crisbee. I've noticed a big reduction in odor compared to other oils.

Last edited:
if you have the skillet up side down you won't notice any marks and I think is bes way to season a skillet,especially if you want it for display

I have only done one on my grill and it was upside down. It worked great and my wife was glad so I'll just keep doing them outside on the grill. Thanks

I use flax oil, so, all seasoning is done on the weber outside. Hang an oven thermometer on the warming rack to learn what settings the burners should be on to get the temp you want. ALWAYS check it before seasoning, ambient temps affect the interior temps of an outdoor grill because most are not insulated. My grill has 3 burners, front to back, I put the CI upside down toward the rear, front burner on high, the other 2 burners on low, or, adjusted to get 450F. Do NOT trust your built in grill thermometer unless you have tested it. It lives outdoors and most of them are not accurate to begin with.

Not trusting the buit-in grill thermometer bears repeating. My father and law and I both have identical Weber Genesis grills, both bought new in 2014. His built-in reads 100~150 degrees lower than mine.

Shooting an IR thermometer (less than $20 on Amazon) at the pans being seasoned periodically during seasoning also works real nice. Instant read, and you can check for any hot spots.

Back