4's Galore

Adam_R.

I was out today picking up stocking stuffers for my wife and decided to hit the usual spots looking for some new CI. I was hoping to see a #4 or #9 to pick up. It was a sweet day for 4's. I saw a Wapak Indian which I was initially very excited about but upon closure inspection I believe it was a fake. I saw 5 4's total, and I ended up buying a cruddy Volrath which is also pictured. In the lye bath currently.

Other possibly notable piece I saw was a Griswold waffle iron with a very long handle. I'm not into waffle irons but it seemed unique. They wanted $395 for it...

Attachments

• IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0681.jpg
    IMG_0681.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 92
Your Volrath should clean up and make a nice uses from what I can tell. The Wapak is a fake. Handle is wrong and it's a bad casting also. See page 299 of the BB. What you're calling a waffle iron is actually a wafer iron by Griswold. See page 101 of the BB. Value in the BB shows $300-$400 and that is based on excellent condition. Depending on what shape it's in the price could be o.k. but I think it's high myself.

The Wapak is a fake, the handle being the first clue. The marked Vollrath is a good find.

The handle attachment on the wafer iron is not the same as the one shown in the BB, but is very commonly seen, so is not a repair.

Sorry guys, i don't mean to hijack this thread but what does BB mean/stand for? I see it often on this site.

Thanks for the help :)

BB stands for "Blue Book". The book's title is, "Book of Griswold and Wagner: Favorite Wapak Sidney Hollow Ware: Revised & Expanded 5th Edition". It is called the Blue Book because the cover is Blue.

RB stands for "Red Book". That book's title is, "Book of Wagner and Griswold: Martin, Lodge, Vollrath, Excelsior". The cover is red.

Back