3 That Need Identifying Please

JennaP

Of all the pieces of cast iron I have (not very many) there are three that I would like some help identifying.

This one belonged to my mom and I mostly remember her cooking fried chicken and roast beef in it. From what I have read I would say it's an unmarked Wagner, but I can't seem to find one w/a bottom like this. It needs to be cleaned and I hope to do that soon.

100_4217 - Copy by j p, on Flickr

Next is a wheat stick pan. The handles look like the Griswolds that I see, except mine has a hole on both ends and the ones on-line don't. Waiting to be cleaned.

100_4218 - Copy by j p, on Flickr

And finally a waffle iron. Just curious if anyone can name the maker. It flips front to back instead of side to side.

100_4221 - Copy by j p, on Flickr

100_4219 - Copy by j p, on Flickr

Thanks!

The skillet is Wagner made, probably labeled as Griswold. Also seen on chef's skillets, those with the "heat grid" bottom were usually Teflon coated. The stick pan is something using a Griswold as a basis. The BB has it in the Wagner section, but marked B it is doubtful it is Wagner. The waffle iron looks like many of its era. Without markings, maker unknown.
Image Image

Thanks for the help DougD. If the big skillet had teflon on it in the past, it sure doesn't now, lol. Do you know what year/s those were sold? My mom passed away in '91 so I have no way of finding out how she got it.

You said..."The BB has it in the Wagner section, but marked B it is doubtful it is Wagner." What is "the BB"? This bread stick pan in marked w/an E.

Just from the little bit more looking I've done lately the waffle iron is older (late 1800's to early 1900's) I guess. No maker name is fine by me, I was just wondering. I have a wood cook stove but the eye is too big for this waffle iron.

Thanks!

If you discover anything about the waffle iron, please post. I have the exact same one. There is a long tread about this item. I cleaned mine and used with some success. Lots of butter between batter was the only way to release the waffle. Not good on a electric coil stove. I am sure that over a hot wood fired stove the results would be different.

Thanks again DougD. I reread your statement about the stick pan and now I understand what you were saying. Why though are you doubtful that it is a Wagner? Again, I don't really care if it is or not because I like that pan anyway, but I am still curious.

And BryanB if I ever get any more info on the waffle iron I will certainly post it here.

I tend to get pieces because I like them not because of who made them. Although that does factor into some purchases.

Jenna, I also have a waffle iron similar to yours, but without the benefit of a base. Fellow member Scott McCarrick also has one. He posted a query about it on the Facebook page The Iron Works! Collectors of Early Iron! on Feb 14. If you look it up, you'll find quite a bit of discussion about this style of WI.

DougD-thanks for the clarification.

MikeZ-Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can find that discussion on FB.

not sure anyone has come up with a deffinite maker for the waffle iron. ive had a couple of them there are 2 sizes 7-8 and 8-9. they make great users, especially if you have an old wood burning stove

not sure anyone has come up with a deffinite maker for the waffle iron. ive had a couple of them there are 2 sizes 7-8 and 8-9. they make great users, especially if you have an old wood burning stove

I'm OK w/no maker name. And I do have a wood burning stove but mine is a bit more modern (Baker's Choice made by Pioneer stoves) and the eye hole is very large so my waffle iron would fall right in the firebox, lol. Maybe one day I will have a gas oven and can try it on that.

Back