Assistance Needed in Identifying New Acquisition

Craig T

Hello all!

First time poster to this forum. I just started collecting about a year ago, when my grandmother passed away and I inherited a #4 Vollrath skillet from her. I use it almost every day to cook my morning omelet. I have since collected a few other skillets, one of which is unmarked. I've done some research on the internet, and have found some info on it, however, still looking for a range value. I have posted on a few other CI forums without any luck, other than it's rare. In the "Identifying No-Name Iron" section, it helped my identify that my 378 skillet is actually a Griswold #8. It mentions in the footnote that these skillets have "published collectible value". I am looking for that value. When I do a google search, only two instances pop up for "378 Griswold" or "378 Cast Iron". One was an ebay auction, from last year (2017), that a seller listed the 378 skillet along with a Griswold #8 skillet with the ghost marking of the 378. Beginning bid was $1500, with a BIN of $6000. This item did not sell to my knowledge, neither did the relisting. This is the only instance that I can find. Any other information on this skillet and potential value would be greatly appreciated. This was my 4th piece of iron I've purchased and now have a total of only 10, so still a newbie!

The first pic is of my 378 skillet, the second pic is from the ebay auction with Griswold #8 with the ghost marking 378

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_8482.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8482.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 378 griswold #8.jpg
    378 griswold #8.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 125
The 377/378/379 unmarked don't appear in any of the collector guides like the 754/755/756 and 668/669 do. And the values in those guides have become outdated. $1500 seems a bit unrealistic and $6000 outrageous. When/if one ever actually sells, one supposes that will establish a prevailing value until such time as more surface in the marketplace (unless it sells to someone with more finances than sense).

The ghost on the marked pan does potentially explain why Griswold pans of the same TM and size are seen with different handles. They just needed to make skillets, and consumers of the day obviously didn't care about such minute details.

I really hate to speculate about pans with unknown histories, because people tend to repeat speculation they read as fact. The 668/669 have no marked Griswold counterparts. But we do know the 754/755/756 are economy sized and they have shown up with Griswold economy brand Victor ghosts. Perhaps, a big perhaps, the 377/378/379 and others similarly numbered that might exist were intended to be an unmarked regular size skillet line that didn't come to fruition.

Is there a size number on the top of the handle?

Is there a size number on the top of the handle?

Doug, thanks for the reply. There are no other markings on the pan/handle.

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

I'm not looking to sell this skillet, just getting an idea of the value. Maybe I'll put it on ebay with a huge $$$ reserve, so that it won't sell, but at least see what potential buyers are willing to bid.....

or there's a facebook selling group (patriot cast iron and cutlery) that lets you post pics and 'accept or decline offers' for a set amount of time... that might give you a better idea of value... and technically you don't have to accept any offers... but the people who monitor that site are collectors so you might get someone offer you a big number.

Hello all!

First time poster to this forum. I just started collecting about a year ago, when my grandmother passed away and I inherited a #4 Vollrath skillet from her. I use it almost every day to cook my morning omelet. I have since collected a few other skillets, one of which is unmarked. I've done some research on the internet, and have found some info on it, however, still looking for a range value. I have posted on a few other CI forums without any luck, other than it's rare. In the "Identifying No-Name Iron" section, it helped my identify that my 378 skillet is actually a Griswold #8. It mentions in the footnote that these skillets have "published collectible value". I am looking for that value. When I do a google search, only two instances pop up for "378 Griswold" or "378 Cast Iron". One was an ebay auction, from last year (2017), that a seller listed the 378 skillet along with a Griswold #8 skillet with the ghost marking of the 378. Beginning bid was $1500, with a BIN of $6000. This item did not sell to my knowledge, neither did the relisting. This is the only instance that I can find. Any other information on this skillet and potential value would be greatly appreciated. This was my 4th piece of iron I've purchased and now have a total of only 10, so still a newbie!

The first pic is of my 378 skillet, the second pic is from the ebay auction with Griswold #8 with the ghost marking 378
can we see the entire bottom including the handle?

Here's a few more pics, as you can see, no other numbers or letters of any kind, just the 378. TIA for any info!!

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_8664.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8664.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 47
  • thumbnail_IMG_8665.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8665.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 51
  • thumbnail_IMG_8666.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8666.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 69
Here is one that popped up on ebay today....this could be our first indication of value. Perhaps someone on this board has been following this thread. Anyone want to fess up? I will update this thread once it is sold.

Here's the info:

Griswold Mystery Cast Iron Skillet #378
Can't authenticate but believe it to be a Griswold skillet. No chips or cracks. Has very slight wobble on flat surface. Skillet diameter is roughly 10.25". Very hard skillet to find.

eBay item number:

Seller information
antiquehunter777 (465 )
100% Positive feedback
Waterford, Wisconsin, United States

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Griswold-Mystery-Cast-Iron-Skillet-378/183445296918

Starting bid:
US $89.95

$16.95 Standard Shipping

Attachments

• z378 ebay.jpg
    z378 ebay.jpg