Griswold Griddle

WallyF

This griddle belonged to my wife's mother. Found it in the basement after I got interested in cast iron and before I found this site. Followed one of the youtube videos and used the oven clean cycle to strip it (griddle didn't have that much on it). Next used a vinegar/water solution to remove some rust on the trademark side. Finally seasoned it with Crisco shortening (4 or 5 coats). About the time I started seasoning, I read the seasoning section here. Just chose to put on multiple coats.

After stripping, discovered the little hole at 11:00 (handle at 6:00).

What did I do wrong to cause the darker section near the handle?

http://imgur.com/a/l13ej

Am I correct in putting this griddle in the time frame of the one on pg. 53 (top right) in The story of....., 5th edition? My mother in law was first married in 1929 or 1930.

Thanks in advance sharing your knowledge.

Wally

did you hang the piece into the vinegar/water by any chance? and maybe not all the way in? that line looks like the difference between the part of the pan that was in the vinegar and the part that wasn't. And usually if you have a section like that that is visible before seasoning... it will be visible after seasoning as well.

It was submerged cooking side down in an aluminum pan. I put enough solution to cover to griddle since the handle elevated that end.

I agree with D about the bubble. I have done that to a few pieces in my etank. Now I shake each piece hard under the water until there are no more bubbles. Still a nice piece. Cook on it and it will go away.
Kyle

An air bubble is certainly a possibility. Have used it to make pancakes a couple of times. The color did not affect cooking. Will keep at it.

Thank you.

Back