Rare Find?

Lloyd B

I have over 100 pieces, none of which I've found in a Thrift store like many others posted. So today I found a crusty old #6 for $11 in one! I have trouble still identifying the early pans, ones with the outside heat ring, somewhat flat handle with a center rib and no visible markings. I have several that appear similar but they are Lodge, Vollrath, Favorite, National etc. So knowing it was older and cheap for this area I brought it home. Now I'm being told it's a "very hard to find" Vollrath #6! I can't wait to get it out of the lye bath to see if the size is under all that crud!
0315171754_zpsuwyywsxn.jpg

0315171755_zpsg1rzkago.jpg

There will (should) be a sideways number on the bottom at 3 o'clock, most likely underlined. Vollrath unmarked seem to be more common than their marked pans. I wouldn't say all that rare, though.

The collector that told me that the Vollrath number 6 pans were hard to find. There may be a number under there like my other Vollraths. The question is how to tell the difference when the marks are covered.

You can tell this is a Vollrath without seeing the bottom by the outside heat ring, the long handle reinforcement rib, the hollow underside of the handle, and the "stretched" appearance of the top end of the handle hole. These characteristics are also noted on the unmarked ID page.

Thanks again Doug. I'm trying to learn more about these outside heat ring pans as it seems several manufactures made similar pans. After reviewing the site once again I can rule out or confirm Lodge as this era pan would have a raised number instead of etched on the top of the handle. I thought by looking at my own collection that Vollrath was the only one who's "rib" continued all the way through the handle to the handle hole but my #8 does not. Guess I'll just keep buying them and figuring it out after they get cleaned! I agree that the site has a good description of the Vollrath but I must be overlooking the description of these design pans in Wagner / National, Favorite etc. By looking at the photos of the marked section you can see that within these the subtle clues vary. So correct me if I'm wrong but Lodge of this design will have a raised size number on the handle, Vollrath will usually have the rib extend all the way to the handle hole but not always, and the others differ where the handle meets the pan (sometimes).

Attachments

• 0316170959.jpg
    0316170959.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 66
A Lodge would not have an outside heat ring. Often, it is necessary to look at a pan as a whole and not focus on just one characteristic. The unmarked ID page generally assumes the pan you're looking at does not have the key characteristics described obscured by build-up, but you can typically go by process of elimination to tell what a piece cannot be.

Sorry, I'm lumping the Blacklock pans into the Lodge category so substitute "Blacklock" for Lodge when reading my question regarding the outside ring.

Yes, those thought to be possibly Blacklock would have a raised size number atop the handle and raised molder's marks.

I finally finished this one up today, and it was indeed a #6 Vollrath. Rare or not I've received my highest offers for this pan. Seems a few people are looking for the #6 to complete a set anyway. I have three 5s, one 6 and one 8. Maybe I can find someone to trade one of the 5s to for a 7!

20170507_172848_zps9gaqnqjb.jpg

20170507_172815_zpsq5tp7ixp.jpg

Back