Fry bread

Bonnie, thanks for sharing this. In the video, what gets to me is the lady on her knees, outside on the ground, while wearing a white skirt! This information is another example of the fascinating info. about the world which is available if you know where and how to look. (Am deciding whether to try some version of fry bread--but I don't think my culinary skills are up to it, to say nothing of my ethnic heritage!)

Flour (I use Blue Bird Flour)
* Vegetable Oil (For Frying)
* Baking Powder (I use Clabber Girl Brand)
* Warm water
* let dough set for 15 to 20 mins when done.

Important info:
- Measurements are up to you but for every cup of flour makes 2 breads and also for every cup of flour you use make sure you use 1 tablespoon of baking powder for every cup of flour it's that simple as for water just add slowly til the right consistency the dough should be soft when done.

From the video......

Flour (I use Blue Bird Flour)
* Vegetable Oil (For Frying)
* Baking Powder (I use Clabber Girl Brand)
* Warm water
* let dough set for 15 to 20 mins when done.

Important info:
- Measurements are up to you but for every cup of flour makes 2 breads and also for every cup of flour you use make sure you use 1 tablespoon of baking powder for every cup of flour it's that simple as for water just add slowly til the right consistency the dough should be soft when done.

From the video......

Another recipe, and a poignant history of fry bread: http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/NavajoFryBread.htm

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Here are a number fry bread recipes, attributed to the various tribes/regions

http://www.manataka.org/page180.html

(later, that same evening...)

Well, I tried, and mostly failed. But to be honest, it was just a quick & dirty attempt. I didn't measure a thing. Some flour, some salt, and some baking powder (probably too old... need to get a fresh tin) and some water (going on vacation tomorrow, no milk in the fridge, and who has powdered milk these days?).

Didn't get the dough thin enough, I think, and that, combined with my half-hearted baking powder made something that was lighter and crisper than my bannock, but not at all like the fry bread that I know. Still ate it all, though!

I am impressed that you gave it a try. I have powdered milk. I also make homemade hot chocolate powder and powdered milk is one of the ingredients. Maybe when you get back from your trip to Lodge country you can try it again with all the right stuff. They are really good stuffed with taco fixings also.

I am impressed that you gave it a try. I have powdered milk. I also make homemade hot chocolate powder and powdered milk is one of the ingredients. Maybe when you get back from your trip to Lodge country you can try it again with all the right stuff. They are really good stuffed with taco fixings also.
Oh, I know that its good stuff! Used to be a weekly flea market when I lived in New Mexico, and there was always one stand where the Navajos would fix fry bread and mutton stew (I was too tame in my tastes back then to try the stew). And Cheyenne Crossing in Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills has the best Indian tacos I've had.

The fry bread I ate my college prof made during a cram session for certification tests. It was sweet like a donut almost. She is party Native American so I thought it was all sweet. The stuff I had wouldn't have made good tacos. :biggrin:

Dan, I'm trying not to pee my pants here. I always thought "Indian taco" was from India. I'm just as bad as ole Chris.

Extra comment on this thread: Try reading Tony Hillerman's "Navajo" novels--local color in abundance, and great plots (IMSHO)! He mentions "Navajo tacos" and I have been wondering for years what they consisted of!

"Indian tacos, or Navajo tacos, are made using frybread instead of tortillas." They are served flat and topped with whatever concoction of ingredients you desire with a slight resemblance to a Southwestern deep dish pizza.

Hilditch

Extra comment on this thread: Try reading Tony Hillerman's "Navajo" novels--local color in abundance, and great plots (IMSHO)! He mentions "Navajo tacos" and I have been wondering for years what they consisted of!
I spent 7 years in his neck of the woods! I love readng his stories because I can picture everything. I can even hear the odd, shy, accent of the Navajos

Hi, Guys. Thanks for the various responses to an "off topic" addition to the thread. Hilditch, thanks for the description of serving technique. Dan, I saw the Southwest only once in my life, but I think the desert is SO beautiful. I wish I could "hear" the people talk--sounds like a wonderful memory! Oh, and DS Bradley, keep reading Hillerman, he is one of my favorite authors, and that's partly because of his lyrical descriptions of landscape. Okay, Doug, 'nuff said!

Bonnie,

Thanks for starting this thread. It has motivated me to give it a try. I might even try folding some cut up apple, apricot or perhaps some blueberries in the mix before frying.:glutton:

William J, I think you might end up will some serious oil popping when the juice from the fruit releases into the oil. Maybe you could just put some heated up pie filling in the Fry Bread after cooking.

I don't really know. I think maybe searching a recipe for apple fritters might be a good start. I just make the plain fry bread and only mix it up with the ingredients I put on after cooking.

Would dried fruit be OK you think?
That wouldn't really be fry bread. Notice that most of the recipes don't even have sugar... it. While it is common to put honey or powdered sugar on it, it really is a neutral bread that can take taco meat or mutton stew as well.

Back