This STINKS!

JenniferM

I recently bought a CI DO on eBay. I have a large one, and wanted a smaller one for occasions when I prep smaller meals. Found what I thought was a good deal on a Puritan #8D w/lid. Good condition, no cracks/warps/etc; just needed the normal cleaning. I was soooo excited, and it arrived today.

My excitement ended quickly when I removed it from the packaging to find a large wedge-crack in the side of it. :frown: It wasn't broken in any of the pictures, so I can only assume it happened in packaging or transit somehow. Just proof that CI isn't as "indestructible" as some people might think.

I've reached out to the seller through eBay. But darn, what a bummer! This was the perfect, stove-top size I wanted. I just want to cry. :(

That really sucks. Doug has really good primer on how to pack and ship CI somewhere on this site. A link should be sent to anyone you but CI from on EBay... since this is such a common occurrence. Clearly your DO wasn't properly packaged. Can you describe the inadequate container it was shipped in?

It was bubble wrapped (lid & pot separately with wrapped lid set inverted on top of pot), and placed in this box, surrounded with shredded paper. But that mark - being on the pan itself in the exact spot of the break - makes me think it might have happened before it was bubble wrapped (or once it was bubbled wrapped and it wasn't obvious at the time), then maybe dropped or whacked in shipment. I don't know. :confused:

The box was a priority mail box from USPS, but it did not say "fragile" on it that I saw.

2015-03-13%2014.24.07.jpg

Any damage to the box itself? It's true that CI isn't indestructible, but it would still take a decent shock to do something like that.

Nothing that appears to have penetrated or gouged through the box (e.g., to make that mark, which is why I thought it might have happened as it was being packaged or something and the seller didn't notice).

The box itself though does look a little "rough" in that a couple of corners look like they were smushed in a bit (e.g., from being stacked or something?). Nothing overly glaring though.

Loose shredded paper is not sufficient to keep a piece from moving within the carton during shipment. Unless the bubble wrap was 2"+ thick, the piece could still have received significant impact if it migrated in the paper to the side of the box. Pieces need to be heavily bubble wrapped AND immobilized inside the container with balled up, tightly packed newspaper or the like.

I have given up on buying CI on ebay myself. I received 2 pieces in bubble wrap envelopes?? It's much cheaper in my opinion to buy from a local vendor and then I also get the pleasure of mingling with vendors and other hunters. It's a shame about the DO. I saw it on the ebay listing and it was a nice looking piece. I have a lidless wagner 8 DO. I'm not sure if it would fit your lid? I found it at goodwill for 10$ and I really have no need for it if you are interested you could PM me.

The shredded paper is only good for hamster bedding if you ask me. I would agree with Doug D., it has to be immobilized in the box. The weight of that piece could easily compress that shredded paper to where it would be in almost direct contact with the outside of the box, and a couple thin layers of bubble wrap isn't really much protection. I think there should be double boxing or at least 1.5" sheet styrofoam walls inside the box for something as heavy and bulky as a dutch oven... as well as it being packed really tight. Very sorry you have to deal with this. Hopefully the seller will be cooperative to refund your money.

Thank you, all. Still waiting to hear from the seller. Hoping for an uneventful resolution. What's strange is that the broken wedge was like you see it when I unpackaged it ... It's still wedged into the broken area. I almost cut my hand on it taking it out of the bubble wrap. Just odd that it took a blow that hard to cause that, but there wasn't a big, obvious gauge in the box. :confused:

Bonnie - I might take you up on that! Thanks so much, though, I assume the seller will want the pot & lid returned, so ... We'll see, and I will reach out via PM. ;)

Looking at the photo of the box it does appear that the DO was all the way against the left side of the box, the compressed paper shows up a shade darker in a circular shape.

Looking at the photo of the box it does appear that the DO was all the way against the left side of the box, the compressed paper shows up a shade darker in a circular shape.

It did have bubble wrap, but yes, the top rim of the DO pretty much was at the edges of the box.

I have worked for a big package carrier. Alot of damage is caused by line jams in proccessing. Imagine 1000 packages jammed on a conveyor & some idiot prying on em with a 10 - 15 foot pole to unjam em. That's a lot of force! Really rough on your new flatscreen or guitar!

Happy to report, the issue was amicably resolved with the seller. He provided a refund, less a mutually agreeable fair price for the lid, as it fits another skillet I have. I managed to find a #8 griswold tite top 1295 w/glass lid. I did ask the seller (politely) to be mindful of packaging, and explained the reason for my request. Hoping for a better outcome this go around. :-|

Back