2 Gallon Pot Tilt Ring Size?

LVaughn

Image Image

Found this 2 gallon gate marked pot recently, seems in pretty good shape but is missing the tilt ring. Anybody have one, could you please measure the diameter of the ring? I would like to find a replacement as close to the correct size as possible.
I hope my image posting is correct, I haven't used Postimage in a while.
And sorry for the crummy phone photos, they looked better on the phone.

Well shoot! Working the rust out of the pits in the bottom cooking surface opened up a pinhole that quickly turned into a pencil hole, nearly 1/4" in diameter. I'm pretty bummed, I wanted to cook in this thing.
I don't suppose there is a good way to repair this?

It can be welded shut with a nickle rod. I’ve seen large pots repaired that way that people have drilled holes in to use as flower planters.

I have had one welder guy pass on that so far, he said it was too tricky and he didn't want to risk ruining the pot. He suggested threading a SS bolt through the hole and grinding it flush to the inside surface. I don't know if that would hold, the iron is pretty thin there.

I have one that did the same thing. The whole area is too thin and fragile to weld. I tried drilling and tapping it but the hole just kept growing. I started with 8/32”and gave up after 3/8” so thin it wouldn’t hold a bolt. I have a couple of pieces that I did drill and tap out to 10/24” and installed a stainless screw and ground it off on the inside and left the head on the outside. But the metal on those was thick enough and held up to the drilling and tapping. Mine sits by my fireplace.

I decided to err on the side of caution and stick with a stainless steel bolt plug. After a couple of rounds of seasoning it is liquid tight... though I'll only cook with it outside to be safe.
The Lodge #8 dutch oven lid fits pretty well though it looks a little odd. If anyone has a proper lid for one of these pots I would like to see what they look like.

Back