Finding cracks

W.J. Laws

Have a Wagner deep fryer that may be cracked. I get like little fire spits on my gas stove. Also seem to have more oil on stove top after use than anticipated. I draine it and cannot find any visible cracks.

Fryer seems in excellent condition, no pitting, only has light seasoning.

Any ideas ?

W J Laws
If you stripped that pan down to bare metal and couldn't find any cracks I do not think it could be leaking. I have come across many pans that were cracked but I couldn't see them until they were stripped bare. In each case the pans were still being used when I bought them. Maybe you are just getting splatter on the stove.

As an aside, I bought a Wagner chicken fryer that was in need of restoring but not really all that bad. After I stripped it I found a +/- 1/16" hole completely through the bottom. Since it was not a straight hole such as a drill would make I assume it was a casting flaw that left the foundry packed full of sand from the mold. Then the owners cooked in it and the seasoning completely sealed the hole. I haven't used it yet but I intend to make cornbread in it a few times then began using it as a fryer. I think I'll know pretty quickly if it is leaking.

Good luck.

Jack

Add 2 qts. water and 1/2 cup salt. Boil for 20 minutes, pour out the water and let cool and dry as is. Inspect.

Hilditch

An afterthought. Please don't take this as an insult but some may not know. A chicken fryer is not a deep fryer. One quarter to to third is all the oil or shortening it is made to handle or it can run/sneak over if there is too much oil. This is mine on low/medium/low. Little splatter.

Hilditch

I've read that if you hold the pan hanging by the handle and tap the bottom center with your fingernail it will ring if it is not cracked. If it is cracked just a dull sound. :icon_scratchchin:

Hilditch

As usual you are a fountain of knowledge

I'm using too much oil, no cracks.

Embarrassed but very happy. Guess I need to dedicate a Dutch oven to French fries

Help appreciated. Considering way pan looked after the salt boil, I'm remembering that tip

Glad no cracks. The salt should rinse away and shouldn't have hurt your seasoning. After it's next use the image will fade. I suspect I've mopped up more oil off the stovetop than you have.

Hilditch

Back