cleaning, restoring or rescuing cast iron waffle iron

Carey D

Love the challenge and the way they look when I'm done, but it's sure one heck of a commitment. Don't you agree?

The best advice I can give about cleaning a waffle iron is to be patient. Let the the lye do the work. I won't even start to clean one unless it has been in the tank for at least a week. After a week of soaking a scrub brush will usually remove all the crud. If it has rust after cleaning the crud, then I have to be patient again while the vinegar does its work. I do like the way they clean up. It is a rewarding feeling to take an iron that has been neglected for years and make it a shiny, like new, functional piece.

I agree these are a real pain. This one took three weeks in the lye bath (with weekly scrubbings), interlaced with two 30 minute vinegar bath/ scrubbing sessions. Finally got clean, bare, grey iron.

After that I discovered the pleasure of wiping off excess crisco from the interior of hot irons (which I found to be brutally time consuming).

Finally done, though. The after pics are post initial seasoning. Last night I didn't think it was worth the effort. Feeling a little better this morning.

Before pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139658521@N07/shares/7te765

After pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139658521@N07/shares/K716LN

Mike, good job on removing all the black. Now....... this is an example of how you want it to look when it is well seasoned. For the record, in real life the base is shiny black too. Good luck becoming friends with it now.

Hilditch

One thing you all may try if you have the space and the tool is to use a high pressure (pressure washer) immediately after removing from the lye bath. I now use this method and it saves on elbow grease and some frustration. Should it not all come off then back to the lye and do it all over again.

Here are two that I posted here on the forum. A a commitment as you stated, but well rewarded in the end.

http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2027
I also restored a Griswold #8 American Waffle Iron, but can not find the post??

gris%25252Cwaffle_9382.jpg

Jeffrey,
What finish do you have on your base?
I have 3 to re-finish. Japanning seems to have been applied to all of mine.

High Heat Gloss Black, On the Griswold base. On the Wagner one I just seasoned it.

I was thinking about painting one of my bases. what type/brand did you use. krylon engine paint gloss black with ceramic temperatures up to 500 Degrees
krylon grill paint is flat black but will handle temperatures up to 1200° F intermittently; 600° F continuously

I was thinking about painting one of my bases. what type/brand did you use. krylon engine paint gloss black with ceramic temperatures up to 500 Degrees
krylon grill paint is flat black but will handle temperatures up to 1200° F intermittently; 600° F continuously

It was not the engine paint, not high enough for me. I looked but do not have any left.

Personally, I'd rather work on a waffle iron than a French Roll or Popover pan. So much more of a reward for the effort!

I try to use a garden hose to wash pieces off with and it works well, but MDFraley's suggestion on the power washer is something I'll have to look at. Talk about kicking it up a notch.

JeffreyR posted picture of the New American waffle iron was timely for me. I just bought one in a shop, with one broken hinge and no base. But otherwise, perfect. I ground and filed down the broken hinge, seasoned the side with mineral oil and think I have a great wall display piece or trivet. I see from his picture my handles are wrong, just rounded end black wooden dowels, but it'll do for my purpose. Couldn't find this iron in either the Red or Blue Books.

A local dealer said he was all done with cleaning waffle irons and was selling his collection for $35 each. There were five left when I got to him and with a trade of a 14 BSR skillet and some cash, they were mine. Attached is a picture of 4 of them, with two that I've restored. The fifth is a No.8 Shapleigh that's in the lye tank.

One that I questioned at the time was marked as a Gris American on one side and as an 8 Puritan on the other. I thought it was a put together set and that it should have been one or the other. But page 91 of the Blue Book shows it as the real deal and I found a few listed on EBay. So, cool. But still curious to me.

Bonnie, really like the hinge on the one you got at Quartzite; I've never found anything but ball hinges.

Attachments

• Four Waffle Irons.jpg
    Four Waffle Irons.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 54
One quick question about cleaning these: Are the coiled metal handles safe to go into the lye bath or should they be removed?

MikeZ, X2 what Bonnie Scott stated.

Mike F, you only need to keep the wooden handles out of the lye and the oven.:chuckle: Show what you are working on.

I have a #8 Piqua waffle iron that doesn't need the tank, but has some rust. The handles are wood and are attached with pins that have been peened. How do I season this when i can't put it in the oven?

Good Job. I have a heart star on the way and am not looking forward to the work involved. Did you use any special tools when seasoning? Paint brush, Popsicle sticks, cardboard, specific towels or cloths etc...

Good Job. I have a heart star on the way and am not looking forward to the work involved. Did you use any special tools when seasoning? Paint brush, Popsicle sticks, cardboard, specific towels or cloths etc...

I liquefy the shortening or Crisbey, use a paintbrush to apply, then a lint free paper towel to remove the excess.

Back