Wagner #6 question

my personal opinion was that foundries were always trying to balance material costs (thicker vs thinner castings) with losses from damage either in the manufacturing process or in transit to stores or once in the hands of end consumers... and they changed at times to respond to different conditions.

To me, the weight of the incised markings and the font of the c/ns place them as contemporaries. Why the "V" pattern would be thinner-walled than the "C" pattern is odd, especially considering that the letters are not significant as to order of pattern creation or period of manufacture. Both also appear to have distinct reinforced rims, so that would also eliminate the reason for the difference in wall thickness.

Could be a case of stacked variables. Different molds, different guy doing the finish grinding, etc.
Another thought is one pan is earlier than the other. Kind of like the difference in early vs. modern Lodge.

That’s interesting, I just bought similar pan last weekend #6 1056Q....it looks like the thicker walled one you have.

Back