Odd Deposits in Pan

Chuck D

I hope someone out there can help. I have a Griswold 2508 skillet that has some deposits I can't seem to remove, I had it in the e-tank for more than a week (rotating every two days) and still have a lot of funky deposits on the inside. some of it looks like old carbonized seasoning but I have never had electrolysis fail with that before. There is also a lot of discoloration and shiny unknown deposits. could these be metallic? Is there any other cleaning method I should try? I'm questioning if I should use it.

Pics after seasoning
2508.jpg

2508_2.jpg

I'm guessing that the discoloration is smooth to the touch and not built up.

I would do a lead test on it in regards to the shiny areas, although, it might have had someone use power tools on the bottom.

The black deposits on the side is built-up but the shiny stuff on the bottom is not. Is there a simple swab test you can get for lead?

Try Home Depot or Lowes in the paint department.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

How much rust was on the pan before you cleaned it and was the rust located where any of these "shiny" areas are?

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll look for the lead test kits. There was not much rust when I started, mostly a lot of carbon build-up.

The black spots are more than likely still carbon deposits. Another round of cleaning will hopefully get rid of them. Use a green scrubber and Dawn first before putting it back into a lye tank or e-tank.

Back