Oldest Find Yet?

CDBrown

New to my collection, from old sources seems to be a "down hearth half loop", pre 1880 with gate mark, pivoting loop, 13". Seems to be used for both hanging from crane or hearth. Any ideas about or know anything about it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2589.jpg
    IMG_2589.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2590.jpg
    IMG_2590.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2591.jpg
    IMG_2591.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 77
the grey book (early american cast iron hollow ware 1645-1900) lists things like this as simply a 'hanging fry pan'... they have a pic of one similar with legs that they list as being circa 1790-1820

the grey book (early american cast iron hollow ware 1645-1900) lists things like this as simply a 'hanging fry pan'... they have a pic of one similar with legs that they list as being circa 1790-1820

I was thinking 1800-1850, pre- woodstove, so it fits. I have several gated pieces, but this was the first of of this type I had seen. Luckily my wife said get it. Thanks, I'll have to see about getting one of those books.

I was thinking 1800-1850, pre- woodstove, so it fits. I have several gated pieces, but this was the first of of this type I had seen. Luckily my wife said get it. Thanks, I'll have to see about getting one of those books.

the book was kind of a disappointment to me... there are only two pictures of hanging skillets on one page... and the entire skillet section is only about 6 pages... but there are about 40 pages of tea pots and kettles...and some other early historic pieces, bronze and copper... showing the different forms ... but not the detailed look at mid to late 1800's skillets I was hoping for.

just imagine how many people have owned that thing and have left this world! man if those old things could tell stories,,,,,,,,

Back