Removing Stubborn Carbonization?

Susan_A

Hello! I was wondering what products or techniques folks are using to get carbonization spots that are left even after some serious scrubbing with steel wool and Bar Keepers Friend. I’m not really interested in taking a wire dremel to these pieces or doing anything that would potentially affect the collectability.

Someone had posted on reddit semi-recently that they use a small wire brush set to remove stubborn carbonization (the bristle area is about the size of a child’s toothbrush or smaller), and the set is inexpensive, so I went ahead and grabbed one at the hardware store.

Just thought I’d ask and see what other ideas are out there before proceeding. One of these pieces is a Griswold Slant EPU, so of course I’m going to want to be careful. Thanks!

Thanks a bunch, Doug. The EPU eventually got completely de-carbonized using the tips in the link. A Wapak Z ended up being a bit more complex due to the typical rough/bumpy casting, although I was able to get it clean enough that after two rounds of seasoning, it looks great.

Back